• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hubs in the wind?

SandPoint

How are the hub style houses in the wind? I have always had a flip over but bought a hub for portable spearing. Was thinking of going out tomorrow and needless to say I'm a little concerned with the wind that is forcasted. Any tips/tricks or horror stories?

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When setting up my Clam hub in conditions like tomorrow. I crank down one of my ice anchors on the windy side before setting it up.

Pull the top, pull the side that I set anchor line out on, then the other 3 sides. Anchor 1 more side and bank it up.

Fishin in minutes. wink

It's certainly do-able but be careful! As bundt2k said, run an anchor in before setting anything up, pop the top, and then the windward side and tie off that side, pop the other 3 sides and tie another side down (whichever is catching the most wind) and bank away. I like to put another anchor on the inside as well but not always necessary. Just be careful if you're doing it alone because your fish house will become a parachute very fast!

I'll be hitting the ice tomorrow with my Eskimo Quickfish 3 I'll send pics smile...As said above put one anchor in first then what I do is ill crank an anchor in on the wind side for the rope to hold the hub out....So then when you get it popped up you can grab that rope and put it on the anchor right away and finish screwing it in...

Argronomist's friend obviously doesnt know how to set up a hub in windy weather...Idk about other brands, but Eskimo come with ropes to tie to your hubs then hook them to anchors so they DON'T push in....I've been in windy stuff before with my Eskimo and she still works like a charm

You HAVE to tie down the hubs from the outside with a rope in the wind, if you do a good job they won't blow in. I've only had a side blow in once and thats because when I set up it wasn't windy, so I didn't tie the hubs down outside, but when I went to tear down the wind had picked up to about 20mph. I set up by myself in 30+ mph wind, only the 3rd time I had the house out, and had no issues. Be careful and tie the thing down!

I'm fishing 20 miles east of Crookston and there's enough snow for banking around here, if there isn't where you are going you may want to look into some sort of weight system you can set on the skirts of your house. If you drive out, some sand bags would work pretty good. I walk so I'm glad I have plenty of snow for banking.

Hubs are the best shacks in the wind as the fabric is under tension. A flipover tub style house will blow away in heavy winds when your butt leaves the seat so they need to be tied also. I have never had to use more than 4 stakes ever for a hub house.

Don't listen to agronomist as he doesn't know his head from his a$$ and who would believe anyone from iowa talk about ice fishing anyway.

Gotta disagree here. I bought an Eskimo Quickfish after spending a day in a small 2 man Otter a few years ago in a 25 mph wind up at Nestor Falls. I was set up close enough downwind of the pickup to touch it and didn't dare get out of the house until it was time to leave or she would've sailed to Baudette. With holes drilled though the sled to anchor it to the ice it would've likely been okay. Also if you have a hitch attached to the sled and to a snow machine, atv or pickup that works too.

A few months later I saw a friend who was using an Eskimo hub and the first question I asked him was how it handled wind. He said he'd been on LOW with 30 mph wind more than once without a problem. My experience has been the same. Of course you have to stake them first and use all the the floor tie downs and wall tie offs in a good wind. A second person to help would be good too.

Have used the Eskimo at least 150 times over the last 5 winters and it's still going strong.

I set my bigfoot up a few times so far this year up on red in some good wind. Definitly can be done. I just followed everyone elses advice and tied the thing off before I tried to pop a wall out. I tie it to my brushgaurd on my truck with a strap then pop oneside out and put an anchor in and ratchet strap that down to the ice. If you get the two windy sides this way it will be good. I then pull the other two walls out. Last sunday night on red the wind was really howling around and it was fine in there. Might trot off to Leech this afternoon and give it a go. Cold front blowing in though so I will play it by ear.

put the door on the nonwindy side. Put 2 screws on the windward side corners, start with one setup then add the other. Put one more to the hub on the windward side and you should be good in any winds. If there is absolutely no snow i add one more on the corner nearest the door so when I use the zipper the house doesn't move around

Hubs are the best shacks in the wind as the fabric is under tension. A flipover tub style house will blow away in heavy winds when your butt leaves the seat so they need to be tied also. I have never had to use more than 4 stakes ever for a hub house.

Don't listen to agronomist as he doesn't know his head from his a$$ and who would believe anyone from iowa talk about ice fishing anyway.

The only one with a head up their A$$ would be you. Funny how some dumb@$$ from the west metro would even consider knowing anything about the outdoors.

In strong winds a hub sucks and is a pain in the rear to set up. Been there done that. Sure you can get it to work, but it is a pain in the silly-me. I've seen more "hub Syle" houses flying like a kite across the lake in the wind then any other style of shack. If you use the cheap tie down cords that the hubs come with the rope will strech with a wind and pop the sides in. A flip up with the back to the wind is way easier to set up and if you put the strech bars in takes the wind way better then a pop up.

I learned my lesson today. During summer most of us pay attention to when there is just too much wind to go but after today I'm going to keep it in mind before putting up any portable. Went for the Minnesota portable fish house ride in a 2 man flipover. Anchors held, both staps broke or pulled out of tub, tub flipped over while I was seated sending me to the ice in front, next dragged me about 40 yard before I escaped. Ice fishing gear scattered over 350 yards of ice all the way to shore and to put the icing on the cake the house hit and damaged someone elses truck parked by shore. With how the wind was howling, should've just stayed home or sat on a bucket.

I learned my lesson today. During summer most of us pay attention to when there is just too much wind to go but after today I'm going to keep it in mind before putting up any portable. Went for the Minnesota portable fish house ride in a 2 man flipover. Anchors held, both staps broke or pulled out of tub, tub flipped over while I was seated sending me to the ice in front, next dragged me about 40 yard before I escaped. Ice fishing gear scattered over 350 yards of ice all the way to shore and to put the icing on the cake the house hit and damaged someone elses truck parked by shore. With how the wind was howling, should've just stayed home or sat on a bucket.

That would have made a great video for America's Funniest Videos. Ya I know, its always funny when it happens to somebody else. I hope you were able to salvage all of your equipment. Too bad about hitting the truck on shore.

Had the quickfish 4 out on a small river today with the valley acting like a funnel down the river. The house endured 50+ mph gusts, sustained winds of 30-35 mph for 4+ hours and the hardest part was running back to the truck because I couldn't feel my face or toes.

Well I gave it a try today and I got to say it wasn't too bad.

I did get set up this morning when the wind was just breezy but when it really started howling I had no problems. I did leave by 2:00 before the hurricane winds started though.

Thanks for the tips!

I was out today in a QF6 and it was ok until the winds really started gusting hard. The anchors held it down and the ones outside held the sides up but the roof kept popping in. Heard the gusts were well over 50mph so what can ya do. I packed it up and called it a day. First time I have had to call it with the pop up. My old otter house was a little more difficult to tack down so I used to tie it to my car but anytime the wind is whipping like it was today forget about it.