• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car through the ice today

cavalierowner

I just heard on the 6:00 news that a car went through the ice on Halsted Bay on Minnetonka this afternoon. They said there was a child in the car and the occupants are in the hospital. There are no other details yet, they said they had a news crew on the way out there.

Be careful everyone!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully everyone is ok. I have lived near the lake my whole life and wouldn't even consider driving on halsteds. A couple years back the bay had large portion of open water all year while the rest of the lake was locked up.

I do feel bad, however...who the heck thinks its a good idea to drive under a bridge? Ice never forms good there, and yearly we hear of multiple cars/trucks/sleds/wheelers going in at 'under bridge points'.

Darwin....hope the baby is okay though. frown

I believe Halsted's has a stream near by.

Yea theres a lot of flow through halsteds through six mile creek. I sunk my sled there a few years back. The whole creek was wide open it was -10 and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. I ran right into my buddy while on open water got the belt wet and sunk. Six mile can be wide open at any temp.

Local tv newscast reported that alcohol may have been involved with the driver, and the the sheriff's dept. is awaiting toxicology results. The family lived on the bay, were very active locally, and had just had dinner at a local restaurant before this incident happened. 9 month old is in critical condition at a local hospital. What else can a guy say? What a shame.

Every single winter for as long as I can remember (I'm 64) cars have gone through the ice in channels or under bridges. Even people who know nothing about lake ice must at least watch the news. I just don't get it. I pray the baby doesn't pay the price for the guy's ignorance.

i didnt watch the news but my dad did and said the chief of police said the kids was buckled in a car seat? [PoorWordUsage] and he said that was the right thing to do since the law is the same on the ice as the road must be buckled in i dont know about anyone else but when i go on the ice and my kids are with i never go anywere i havent been and i make shure the ice is plenty thick and my kids are unbuckled and r up front with us and the doors are open while we drive i hope i never break throu but if i do i want to be able to get my famly out as fast as possible

i hope the kid is gonna make it very sad deal but could have been avoided

Article in the trib also said that there is a thin ice warning on all hennepin lakes put out by the sheriffs office. Sounds like the baby was under until rescue workers made it there. scary deal no matter what. Thoughts and prayers for the baby to recover.

Article in the trib also said that there is a thin ice warning on all hennepin lakes put out by the sheriffs office. Sounds like the baby was under until rescue workers made it there. scary deal no matter what. Thoughts and prayers for the baby to recover.

If and that's a big IF I drive my truck on the ice rather than my wheeler, it's seat belts off and windows down. The last thing I want is a chance of being trapped in that dam thing.

Hooked 79..where did your dad see the Chief make the comment about wearing your seatbelt on the ice? I have not been able to find it, but if something was said it would have been said by the Sheriff. This was a water incident and the Sheriff's Department has jurisdiction over the water incidents. I just want to make sure if fingers are pointed, they are pointed in the right direction.

Hooked 79..where did your dad see the Chief make the comment about wearing your seatbelt on the ice? I have not been able to find it, but if something was said it would have been said by the Sheriff. This was a water incident and the Sheriff's Department has jurisdiction over the water incidents. I just want to make sure if fingers are pointed, they are pointed in the right direction.

I can verify that I watched the interview, and indeed, he did state that the rules on the ice are the same as the road. I couldn't believe it.

The story in the paper said 1 of the bystanders was a ex-firefighter that helped get the dad, mom, and the 2yr old out of the water. The way i understand the suv roof was exposed enough to place a ladder from shore to the suv. He said "you never put yourself in harms way when there is already somebody in harms way". Iam i a jerk for feeling he is a jerk for not going into the water to help a BABY in need?? I mean, if they could see the suvs roof, the water couldn't have been too deep right? idk..just my opinion