• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Locating crappies

chuckwagon

Will crappies suspend over deep basins that are very gradual steps in structure around them or should I find really quick breaks around a hole? Also I see small 20 foot holes surrounded by 5 or less feet of water close to shore. Can these areas hold fish or will be out towards the deep? Haha rambling ... I am going to put some really good time into pounding out holes and locating this weekend and don't want to waste half a day looking in dumb areas. Thanks for any help or input.

Go to the deepest area first, unless it is like a 60' small hole. Say it is 40'....drill holes from that 40' deepest part through the adjoining basin into 30', then into 20' all holes about 10 - 15 yds apart. I find that they will be in the deep hole at low light levels and then cruising that shallower basin area during the day, just hole hop till you find them, catch the aggressive fish out of that spot and move to the next. Once you have your holes drilled you can keep circling back to all of them and continue to catch out of the holes already drilled. I don't find crappies off sharp structure....and a lake with a muck or mud bottom is best IMO. Others will have their ideas but this is what works for me.

This is what I look for, I like to look for good sized basins in the 20-30 foot range adjacent to large midlake shallow flats. When it comes to basin crappies there is no shortcuts. Get out and drill those basins out and you will find them. Once you learn where to look and find them that pattern will pretty much hold strong year to year

haha yeah .... technology can sometimes easily consume the brain and take away from just getting out there and enjoying just that. i got yesterday and searched 4 separate structures i was interested in but could not find suspended fish. the crappies were all hugging bottom. and were all very small. ill be back at it later today and tomorrow. we shall see what i can come up with thank you guys for all the helpful tips i appreciate them greatly!

You and I are on the same page Chuck! I'm not interested fishing shoulder to shoulder. Last summer we moved to Ward Springs and away from my old honey holes. Tons of great lakes around here, I just need to learn them. Spending some unproductive catching time this winter but having fun trying. If you're from around here let me know. We can learn together.

I;ve been fishing shallower lakes this season (max 15 FOW), but I've found that they have definitely initiated the deep water migration. As it gets close to sunset, and the action heats up, I will basically run from hole to hole. I set up a grid of about 20 holes in the area that produces during the day, and then once the sun touches the horizon, the race is on. I will see fish in a lot of holes, but I find that the bottom huggers tend to be smaller and less aggressive. It seems that the fish that are up 3-5' (keep in mind this is 15 FOW) are almost a guarantee.

The fish tight to the bottom are tighter lipped, but that's pretty much true all of the time, you get those ones up in the water column they are very hungry!!

That's why it's nice to drill out an area and go through with a Vexilar and look for those suspended fish!

Don't be afraid to throw them a curve ball if they aren't hitting your initial presentation. I have had a lot of crappies that will come up and just look at my bait and swim away. That is when I will reel up fast, grab my other rod, and drop down to where the fish are. Nine times out of ten, they will come up and smoke the new bait.

My buddy claims sorta that the minnow bite is dead, go waxworm. We fished Saturday night with him 3 of us and 0 bites we had crappie minnows on, the next night with 4 fewer lines he got 5 really nice ones 13-14 inchers all on waxy's. However, I'd go with 1 of each really. We had fish on our fishless night come up to our jigs/minnows no takers.