• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bait size

ski_otter

I've had a weird thing happen lately with bait size.

A lake that I normally fish I typically catch most of my crappies on small tungstons with either a waxie or plastic. I have been coming across more walleye at my spot so I have been using stop signs and buckshots 3" usually. While they haven't got me any walleye yet my past two outings nearly all of my crappies have been caught on these. A lot of these have been 12"+ fish but have also got some 7-8" fish on them.

What causes such a dramatic shift in the size of bait a fish will go after?

I've always heard cold front/ high pressure downsize but this seems the opposite(above was the case last night)

So you just switched to using larger baits and you ended up still catching fish? Doesn't sound like a shift in preference by the crappies, how do you know they wouldn't have always bit on bigger baits?

So you just switched to using larger baits and you ended up still catching fish? Doesn't sound like a shift in preference by the crappies, how do you know they wouldn't have always bit on bigger baits?

Never thought of it that way. Just figured since I had fairly good luck with the micro stuff that the big stuff was out of play, it's kind of made me re think my whole approach - also the crappies are much bigger than what I have previously gotten

Hi,

Are you jigging your tungsten jigs or are you able to use a spring bobber or such? I am not able to because of the weight of Tungsten.

I've had a weird thing happen lately with bait size.

A lake that I normally fish I typically catch most of my crappies on small tungstons with either a waxie or plastic. I have been coming across more walleye at my spot so I have been using stop signs and buckshots 3" usually. While they haven't got me any walleye yet my past two outings nearly all of my crappies have been caught on these. A lot of these have been 12"+ fish but have also got some 7-8" fish on them.

What causes such a dramatic shift in the size of bait a fish will go after?

I've always heard cold front/ high pressure downsize but this seems the opposite(above was the case last night)

I'd say it's likely that all along the fish would have eaten the bigger bait. If you want to see, next time try both sizes and see what happens.

Sometimes big bait can equal big fish but not always. Sometimes I've upsized trying to select for bigger fish and it was the more agressive dinks that still hit it. On the other hand, I often find in crappie schools the most agressive fish will actually be the bigger ones. IN that case upsizing to walleye sized baits might be the ticket.

I have also had days where crappies and gills wouldn't even begin to follow standard jigs, but smacked an agressively ripped walleye spoon harder than you would believe.

Some days the fish don't make sense!

I both jig and use a spring bobber, I have a tripwire and use the small (3mm?) tungstons with no problem. The larger ones are too heavy for my spring, but do use them on other rods.

I did try using the small jigs the other night with no luck. I'll try again today up there and see what happens. It is kind of nice that I found out I can catch big crappies on what I was using only for a "calling" bait before