• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well, our black lab pup is going to be hunting with us this year(was born last labor day) and he is still full of boundless energy. He is still being trained, and of course he will listen to you when you want him to sit or lay down, but i know that he will not be able to sit still for a very long time. Any tips on training for this?

Well Lunker,
I'm not exactly sure that there is a way to train for this......my only recommendation is to let him get used to the boat before the season starts, and let him get used to sitting there for quite some time. A good way to do this is just to take him fishing. When my dog started out, he did quite a bit of whining in the blind / boat when there was no action and we didn't let him wander around the shore....but as he got a few more hunts under his collar, he caught on that he had to sit still and be quiet. Good luck, Sartell Angler.

A short, well-anchored lead will help in a huge way. Just be sure the dog is unable to "plop" over the side while tied in. Also, the quick-release type of lead is the product to have in these scenarios. I used this technique up until my dog's 3rd season, and it worked well.

Lunker - Also wanted to mention that Sartell Angler has a good point. Getting the pup used to being in a boat before the season is a good idea. I've even taken that concept a bit further. Bring a couple retrieving dummys along, and do a little water work after the fishing.