• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ahh man It is great to be back to this great forum. Well My rents baught a house in forest lake and we have a 8 acre Pond across the street.(no houses around)When I was there looking at the house I noticed Tons of ducks and geese in the pond. Well I have started building Wooduck houses. And I am gonna hunt it this year. I have onl been hunting once, and it was a blast, I fell into the water and filled my waders up but hey I thought it was funny. But anyways, Me and my dog hunter(English Springer Spaniel) are gonna have fun this year. He loves water and retrieving is through toy. Now I know I am gonna need some decoys. How many should I get 1, 2 , or 3 dozen,(I have to buy turkey decoys for next year for the back yard and some goose decoys for the field next to my house. I am useing a Mossberg 500 Pump. Great gun I think. My freinds hate it just because it is a mossberg, I like it just for that reason. I have never had a problem shooting it. But how do I know what part of the pond to set up shop on. And if you guys have any other tips that would be great for this new hunter!

crappiecatcher,
i agree, this site is fantastic!
sounds to me like you found a great home!
as far as the hunting goes, here's my 2cents...get yourself at least a doz deeks for starters. i just picked up a doz. mallard xps's from bass pro shops...they're some of the nicest looking, seem to be tough decoys i've seen for the price--$30/doz. it sounds like you're after woodies also. you might want to invest in some of those too.
as far as setting up,if you have any points on your pond, focus on them. i generally like to hunt with the wind and the sun at my back, although it's not always a feasible combo. ducks generally land into the wind, so position yourself to be at the biggest advantage. if there are any other ponds nearby, you might have luck setting up on that side, possibly getting some pass shooting in
if you want my opinion, invest in a call or two. many times i've been able to coax ducks that otherwise might not have given me a look. try to find one with an instructional tape if you've never blown one. start practicing right away.. it takes a while.
hope you have fun......i know you will!!!!!!!

I would go with 2dozen puddle duck decoys (my setup is a dozen mallards, eight woodies and four teals) and maybe a doezen goose decoys. As for the place to set up on I ususally have the best luck with the wind at my back. The ducks like to land into the wind so just remember that. Also I second the call thing, it really helps out. Although sometimes at late season I found I do better without it, but it still helps most of the time. anyway it sounds like you have a sweet spot so have fun!!!!!
><>deadeye

Crappiecatcher, one thing you should do first off is to call the local Conservation Officer and ask him or her if it is legal to hunt this pond.Being Forest lake area and so close to the city there may be regulations for that pond.
As far as the deeks, I agree with the other people here, you don't need a huge spreed of deeks on a small pond.And in that area you are mainly going to see puddlers, and Geese lot's of Geese.
If your straped for cash just go with a half dozen of Mallards, couple of woodies and teal, and a half dozen Goose .

Or you can just envite me over to hunt the early season with you , I have enough deeks for three people to hunt over smile.gif

Depending on the size and depth and swimming ability of your dog, you may need a small canoe or jon boat to retrieve the downed birds.
Calls are always good to have around, but I suggest using it sparingly till your good at calling.Practis,practis,practis your calling,get a tape and listen to the calls there as well.Also hold off from calling ducks if they seem to be intrested but not commiting, they may not like the call.

One last thing I would like to point out , get your self some good quality hunting cloths and boots.I suggest Columbia and Rocky, but they are rather expensive.Ganders Guide Series is ok, but I would stay away from the Target,Walmart, and Kmart cheap stuff.They are usually not water proof just water repelant, and a wet and cold hunt will make it miserable to stay out.

Good luck with your hunting, Benny

what!? i dont know where you guys hunt, but half a dozen goose decoys aint gonna cut it in the field... I'd go with at least 2 dozen field decoys, no goose decoys for the water, and 2 dozen mallards, maybe a dozen or 2 bluebill decoys if you wanna hunt late season.. Wood ducks will come to any decoys you put out..

I would set up in the calmest area of the pond for the puddlers, and set up on the windy side when your hunting divers.

and DONT buy the mallard decoys from bass pro shops. those xpress or whatever they are are dump. look real nice until you use em. from what i've heard from a lot of people is that the paint chips off quite easily. some people even said there were large chunks of paint coming off when they arrived at their house!!

and the mossberg... i dunno.. id would get anything but a mossberg.. they are not a reliable gun. the ones they made 10-15 years ago are OK at best, but the ones they make today are pretty sketchy!!

I have to say that I have a mossberg and I love it. I have used it hard for 5 years now and it has never let me down. It is the 835 ulti-mag and it is a real atvantage to beable to shoot the 3.5's. My dad also has the 500 and it works fine as well, it has some wear and tear but works great. As for the decoys, I have had better luck at times with less decoys. Sometimes they get a little wary of the big spreads and go to the smaller ones. I think that 2-dozen is a good number to have, they like more most of the time so that is the way to go. ><>
deadeye

Well, when my friend brought me out 2 years ago to duck hunt I got all the good hunting clothes, So I am set there. As for the gun I to have the 500 mossberg and love it. And I know it is legal to hunt the pond because the guy we baught the house from says he hunts it every year and has lots of success. I took his word for it, as it could have just been a thing to say to interest me more, but there were alot of ducks and geese down there soo we will see. I think I am gonna go with 2 dozens G&H mallards, half a dozen woodies, and another half a dosen teal, and 2 dozend geese for the feild next to the house. My freind works at Gander Mountian in Maplewood and said he could get me all of that for about 75$ on employee night. As long as he can hunt with me. Which is fine with me lol. I am also gonna get a couple of calls, my **** dog chewed the one I had to peices lol!

wanna go with a high end call? If you didnt see on the other threads, im tryin to sell a couple. RNT redneck and a RNT steel acrylic shortbarrel. single reed mallard calls. very versatile. 70$ each for calls that were originally 120$ used one season!! heck of a deal

Well I'd say you can't go wrong with G&H mallards, 1-2 doz, I don't think the teal and woodie dekes are worth it. My experience has been that the woodies land in familiar spots more than to dekes, so hunt where you see them. I'd say for geese, a couple dozen is required, but with the geese, scouting their patterns will save you frustration and cut down on the need for huge spreads. As far as the high end calls go, unless you're going to competitions, I don't see the use. I think for small ponds the acrylic single reed calls would do for softer chatter. But if you're hunting lakes I don't think you can beat a loud double reed plastic call (8.99) Just my thoughts.

Did you say $75.00 for 3 doz. ducks and 2 doz. field goose decoys? Holy smokin' deals! I don't suppose your friend might be willing to provide me with the same package?
That same spread would normally retail for at least $250.00.

good call honker
Teal and woodie decoys aren't worth it. woodies land where they take off from a lot of times. As far as the mossberg, they are a good gun, it is all about how comfortable you are shooting it and how well you take care of it. Much of my hunting gear is over 20 years old. Still works great season after season. you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you. good luck this season.