• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike cleaning and cooking

Years ago I could not afford alot of ice fishing gear but a couple tip ups and some minnows were within my means. I found this way of preparing Pike worked well for me and the kids loved it. Here goes, Filet the fish anyway you want, don't worry about the "y" bones. Cut the meat into chunks and boil till it is flakey. Dry the chunks and put into a bowl and chill. Whisk the fish with a fork, the "y" bones will float to the top. Grab the bones and keep whisking. Cut up some onions, celery, and green pepper into small bits and add to the fish. Add egg and some breadcrumbs and form into patties. Coat with more breadcrumbs and panfry. Serve on a bun or like crabcakes. Kids love em. Enjoy

I just made pike patties tonight, after I take out the Y bones and set those aside for pickling (thats another recipe ) I put them in a pan with a cup or two of water and slowly steam them until they fall apart I used pepper and season salt and a shake or two of garlic to do this.

After this is done and have about 4 cups of pike.

4 cups of flaked pike

1 cup of bisquick or I will use instant pancake mix or 1/2 corn meal and 1/2 pancake mix

1/2 cup instant potato flakes

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

/8 cup vinegar

1/2 teaspoon season salt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 tablespoon or lemon pepper

1/2 cup finely chopped onions

Mix all these ingredients together very thoroughly then.

Make patties like you would hamburgers lay out piece of tinfoil and lay out three or four then fold over and stack three four more and so on until you are out of fish mixture. I like to let these set in the fridge at least an hour or two before frying to get the onion and spices to blend in this the mixture.

I fry in a cast iron pan with about a 1/2 inch of grease that is 350 degrees fry until golden brown and enjoy.

I will also add shredded cheese now and then also the zest of a lemon is good mixed in.

You can also stack these in wax paper and wrap up and freeze and take later to fry up also.

This is one i found on the net that ive been using

1 pound cooked fish, reserve any juice from cooking

1 egg

1/2 cup minced onion

1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 t. baking powder

1 t. seasoned salt

few pinches of fresh cracked black pepper

1 1/2 cups oil for frying

Mix the first seven ingredients together well. If the batter seems a little dry add some of the cooking juices. Form patties and fry in oil