• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody ever try one of these out. I have a Benelli Nova and I'm thinking about selling it and maybe trying an 870 super magnum. Just wondering if its worth the hassle in getting another shotgun. Any input or info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Brian

Have a 870 Super Mag myself. Hunted it 2 years now. I'm more of an auto and O/U guy but got the 870 to shoot the 3.5 inchers. First thing I did was change the rock hard stock recoil pad for a softer one. Then I made a weighted magazine weight that really helped the recoil and smoothed out the swing. I've had a few misfires because the action hasn't closed all the way and a few shells wouldn't eject right so a new round wouldn't cycle in but all in all it's been a good gun for me. Good luck with your search.

870's are junk! They jam all the time, even when clean.
Here's the scene last season when a buddy of mine bought his. Slow, bluebird day with migraters 15 miles tall, blowin' calls because we felt obligated, tweety birds one more mile high flock away from DEATH. Hey wait are these mallards comin to look at us-YEP! stay low, don't look up, SHHHH!, right above us, swingin, committed, final approach............ TAKE 'EM! I mop up 2 of my 3 birds. "F#^&! G#%@$%@M brand new gun and the thing jams, are ya kiddin me?" my buddy screams.He took one shot, missed, gun jams, NO BIRD!
I personally have watched this scene play out 10-15 times in my boat alone in the past 5 yrs.
JUNK! Enough said. shocked.gif

That 870 is the best piece of junk I`ve ever hunted with. I`ve got some pictures of myself and two buddies covered in mudslopcrap and a nice limit of greenheads to boot. There is one shell manufacturer that I did have trouble with, but that is it. For the money it`s the best buy on the market!

Hey thanks for your input guys even if you dont like the gun I was just wondering about the super mag and not asking what you experienced with the 870. I have a 870 magnum ( 3 inch ) and I really like it. I never had it jam on me and my dad uses his 870 all the time, he actually takes that out over his Beretta and he still hunts with the same 870 he bought back in 1978. Shot thousands of rounds thru it and I seen him make some pretty spectacular shots. Like i said before I am thinking about selling my Benelli Nova but I never talked to anyone personally about the 870 super mag. I normally hunt with a Benelli Montefeltro now thats a sweet gun. Thing is they are spendy and not everyone can afford them. Ah who knows maybe if i just sit tight i will get a Super Black Eagle but that might be awhile. Oh by the way in order to get more than one shot with the 870 you have to pump the action to get a fresh round. Works for me. Good Luck next time. Hope this helps. Nuff said!

better clean that 870 about 3 times a day too, unless you go with a camo version. the regular one rusts to beat hell from finger prints, dust, water... pretty much every time you take it out of the case....

My sons and I own a total of seven 870's of various gauges and configurations. The oldest one, I've owned for 43 years. They're as dependable as anything I've ever owned. My supermag is 3 years old and there is a jamming problem if it is handled wrong. You must forcefully eject the empty or the next shell from the magazine will release and jamb against the empty. This took some getting used to for me because with my other 870's, if I don't need another shot, I eject the empty slowly into my hand so I can pocket it. As for a corrosion problem, my supermag has seen its share of rain, mud, and wet dogs, and no rust. The one thing I've found that will corrode almost any gun finish is blood. Its best to clean it off as soon as possible.

I dont know what my dad used to keep his ole 870 clean but its like almost 25 yrs old and it dont have a speck of rust on it. And neither does mine. Camo guns maybe the way to go some look better then others. I had a buddy that went duck hunting once and went to the trees for a bathroom break and found a Browning ( i think thats what he said ) that was in full camo. Nobody claimed it so it sits in his cabinet. He siad the only thing he doesn't like about is when he shoots light loads like 1 oz low brass it becomes a single shot. But I thought it was a nice gun. i liked it better than my Nova. the camo pattern was better too. Shoot straight