• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum flashers

aquafang

Ok....

I have been using an LX-3 for several years now and love it.

But im looking to get a new toy. I have a buddy who has the LX-5 and is very pleased with it. In the sole purpose of marking fish and moise rejection, how does the 5 compare to the 6? Please leave out many comments of the 7 out. I dont think i want to spend that much nor think its any better when it comes to flat out marking fish.

Or is it even worth upgrading at all from my 3?

Thanks

You should move up to the wonderful world of Vexilar!

Vexilar has established itself as the world leader in color flasher technology. This dominance in the marine electronics world will only grow with the introduction of a new unit called the FL-18. The FL-18 is the next generation of color LED flasher that will be setting new standards of performance and features. The FL-18 joins the Vexilar family of products and will be made available in the popular Pro-Pack system that contains everything you need to start ice fishing and the classic gimbal mount.

The FL-18 offers features and performance never before available on a three-color flasher. The FL- 18 offers a patented split-screen display. This will allow you to zoom-in on the bottom six feet while watching the entire water column at the same time! You will be amazed at the performance for both summer and winter. The Bottom Lock feature stays locked on the bottom even as the bottom rapidly changes. The Auto Zoom mode allows you to turn up the power to easily spot a tiny ice fly on the bottom in 40 feet of water. The new FL18 will deliver a target ID of less than 1/2 inch.

And that’s not all. The FL-18 is equipped with features like a built-in shallow water mode for fishing waters less than 15 feet. Five depth scales, and models capable of reaching down to 300 feet. Built-in interference rejection. A three color LED readout that tells you if the targets you see are weak (green) medium (orange) or strong (red). This three color LED technology has proven to be the most reliable and accurate way of understanding where fish are holding.

The FL-18 comes with an industry leading two-year factory warranty. Vexilar, of Minneapolis, has been the innovative leader of high quality Marine Electronics for over 50 years. smile

LX3 > FL18 2c

I have owned or used just about all these Flashers.

The LX3tc is not all that different from the LX5 aside the finer line and dual cone tranducer, better target separation to 3/4 inch.

I like to think of the LX6 as a digital version of the LX5 but with the LX7 features.

Plus how can you leave out the comparisons for the LX7 when the LX6 is almost its exact replica in a smaller version being the only difference is screen size and target seperation.

Towards the end of the ice season you can find the LX6 or LX7 for reasonable prices. My buddies bough their LX7 brand new for $570-$590 last year. I got my LX6 new at the ice show for $530, im thinking this unit can be had for low $500 maybe even high $400 comes clearance time.

If you have a 3 and you're happy with it, go with an LX6. I switched over to Marcum a few years ago when I bought an LX5. The zoom feature was awesome when it first came out. Now with the LX6 and LX7 they have gone above and beyond. I don't know that you gain a ton going from the 3 to the 5 but going from the 3 to the 6 will be outstanding for you. I got an LX7 last year and it's nothing short of amazing. I love having my flasher, zoom, and graph all on one screen when fishing.

Best bet is if you can find someone to fish with that has one of the flashers you're looking for. Then you'll know what fits your needs.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the other manufacturers. They are all great units. My opinion is that Marcum is just way ahead.

I'll try and stick to your original question.. Not try and push you one way or another.. The LX-3 is a great unit. There really is no real "Need" to upgrade as it does about anything and more than one "Needs". Unless you are into technology and really think that having a little extra more will help you enjoy what you are doing on the ice.. . Because really, thats why we are there. To enjoy the out doors.

So, what would you gain going to the LX-5 More power... Maybe Slightly better target sep. But not a ton. Dual beam, which if you ever fish steep drop offs it is nice to have. Or also it help to push off interfere problems.. Super Fine Line is nice.. but again.. not a need.

Now going to the 6.. well, you get a screen that you can adjust to what you like. Flat screen, seeing from different angles.. But the biggest advantage for a unit like that.. upgrades.. its a hard drive much like a computer. So IF, not saying it will happen, but could.. If MarCum decided that they have technology that they could offer you to make that unit better.. they could offer it as a flash.. you plug your unit into you r computer and poof.. its now smarter.

But again.. back to your orig question.. The 3 is a great unit. Only upgrade if you think you will enjoy fishing more.

I had a 3 and sold it for a 5. The 5 is more versatile with the dual transducer. If you can get a 5 at a good price than do it.

I now have a 6 and am still getting used to all the options I can do with it. I mostly run it on the graph and flasher side by side. I guess if I was going to get a new Marcum after having a 3 I would step up to the 6. The flat screen is very nice to watch and you can adjust the colors to I believe 1 of 3.

So far Im very happy with my 6 and dont miss any of my Vex's at all. I also believe Marcum is the leader in ice fishing sonar technology.

LOL, Vex guys crack me up, even the description of their flashers is stuck in the past. wink

I think the LX-5 is the best flasher on the market, unless you want to go digital, then go with the LX-6. I think the LX-5 would have a smaller footprint, but the digital is dead silent. I would go to a store and look at both and see which one seems better for you; but in my opinion motorized flashers are a thing of the past. I have a LX-7, upgraded from an LX-1, and it is a very solid unit so far. I would for sure get one with the dual beam transducer, that is a very useful feature.

I recently made the switch from vex's FL12 to the marcum LX7. here is what i have liked and what i have disliked, i will keep these as simple as possible..

Pros for the LX7

- large screen with the ability to run more than just a flasher...

- graph is going to be phenomenal for open water

- LX7 is upgradeable

- Battery life is WAY better than i thought, fished all day sat and sun on same charge.

- LX7 is upgradeable to the LX9 if one was inclined to do so....

- quiet quiet quiet, you dont realize the noise the mechanical units give off until you use one of these

Cons for LX7

- Does take 2 or 3 times out on the ice to get used to the many options

- Not a huge fan of the soft pack design

- Cable storage is similar to the Vex. Genz box

- getting out of the mind frame that mechanical is more durable

- breaking the habbit of saying, "i was marking alot on my vex.... i mean marcum"

I'm still getting use to the fact that i turned my back on vexilar after being such an advocate for so many years, however after owning a chevy for many years and then making the switch to ford...... you may feel dirty at first but in the end you realize it was the best desicion.

The obvious differences from the LX5 to LX6 are going to be the display. Round, mechanical display versus flat, digital, user customizable display.

Performance features they both have dual beam transducers, infinite adjustable zoom so no advantage there.

The 6 offers bottom lock, where the 5 does not.

Target separation is the same between units at 3/4".

Power-wise the 6 has double the power the 5 does which the 5 has like double what the 3 does.

Flexibility and updates are probably the biggest advantages of the 6 over the 5, but the 5 has been around a while so they are tried and true.

You can change brightness of the display on the 6 which is helpful in bright sunny days or at night to save battery.

quote=leech~~will only grow with the introduction of a new unit called the FL-18. The FL-18 is the next generation of color LED flasher that will be setting new standards of performance and features.

I'm confused, I've had an FL-18 for years!!!

Ya, i just pulled it off their Web site to stir the pot! laugh

Yup, its only worth it if you think its going to you tr like what you've been doing for years. If money is tight hummingbirds are really nice units with flat screen and kabodles of features. Bro has a ice 55 and when he's not with I love using it outside. I'm a proud owner of a fl-18

I use to be a Vex guy but I'm all Marcum now! I think it all comes down to how much money you are willing to spend and how much you will actually use the unit. I myself was trying to decide between a LX5 and a LX6. I purchased the LX5 and couldn't be happier! Has dual cone, super fine line, 3/4" separation and have the ability to zoom into any part of the water column! The LX6 is like a dang computer and wouldn't want that much money sitting on the ice or out in the cold. Some guys really love those flat screens but makes no difference to me. I will be the owner of this LX5 for years to come grin either way...its a Marcum and what ever you decide on you will be very very pleased!!

Yea i am perfectly content with my 3. Just got the itch for a new toy. I do like the fine line of the 5. Overall i really dont believe i will be a better fisherman with anything more than a 3. I may have just talked myself out of spending some dough! We'll see.

My .02, because it is worth about that.

Buy what you can afford. Vexilar, Marcum, and Humminbird all make really nice units. You're not going to outfish one guy or another because you have a brand that they don't. They all do essentially the same thing. The only thing that seperates them are the features.

I have both Vexilars and Marcums. They both work great. If I still had my FL-6 from 1985, I'd probably still use that one too. However, that one met the painful death of exiting a moving vehicle.

I ran Vex for years switched to the crisp clear display of the lx5 this year. I love it! I like that it has the hooded screen again(hated the fl-20) I like super fine line and dual beam as mentioned. The ability to move the (true) zoom any where is nice. I like that there is no dead space on bottom. You lift your jig 3/4 of an inch it is there on the screen. The vex unit was more like 6" and watch for a flicker. I have used it in shallow weeds with no issue and no LP mode needed is another thing I like. All controlled by the gain switch and ducer matched with reciever perfectly. The detail is great with the separation it provides and seeing multiple fish in a school and not just a thick band. Seeing size of fish is nice as well. When your jig doesn't look like a muskie you can pick through the school for larger targets. I am very happy with the lx-5 and would recommend it. I would love to use a 6 or 7 for all the options they provide but I will use this great unit. Going from a lx3 to a lx5 would be a good move if you need to make one. It is fun to get new toys and we only live once. In the last year I went from my fl8se to a 18 then a fl-20 then I finally made an upgrade to the LX. I say go for it.