• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Fileting

amateurfishing

I use a smaller fillet knife for sunfish perch crappie. It gives me more control around the rib bones and I am more comfortable using it on these smaller fish. I have a standard fillet knife for bass walleye pike. It comes down to practice. If only I knew how to remove y bones from pike!

I use a smaller fillet knife for sunfish perch crappie. It gives me more control around the rib bones and I am more comfortable using it on these smaller fish. I have a standard fillet knife for bass walleye pike. It comes down to practice. If only I knew how to remove y bones from pike!

Hey Frank, you just reminded me of a good way to cook up pike. I'll start a new topic and explain.

Many years ago I was up on the Red cleaning 30 crappies by myself, it was a 4+ beer ordeal, when 3 young guys came into the cleaning shack with a couple coolers full of crappies and started to have at them with electric knives, they ran thru all those crappies in no time. Got back home and bought an electric knife. I used it a few times on crappies but as someone else mentioned it seems like the chainsaw massacre. Nowadays I fillet my crappies with a knife, its part of the harvest, I actually enjoy it. I'm an over the rib guy, and one tip I would give is that I have a seperate knife to make the cut behind the gills, keeps my fillet knife sharp.

Practice, practice, practice and you'll get the hang of it.

And just think how many beers those guys missed out on! wink