• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Big of a Fish House?

deerminator

I'm thinking about a permanent house sometime in the next couple of years, mainly for myself and two kids and sometimes my wife who likes to go out now and then but not as much as the kids. We are fortunate enough to live on the lake we often fish so bunks arent so important, but I guess most already built houses come with them. Sooooo....My question is, how big of a house do I need for a family of four? Any thoughts/insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Since you live right on the lake I would look at a Aluma-lite skid house. they are made by Soderblooms up in Cromwell, MN. the dealer in the metro area is Bebergs Landscape. the ones you would want to look at are the 6 X 10, 6 X12, 8 X 8, 8 X 10, 8 X 12. anyone of these would be good for a family of 4. the other plus is that they don't break the bank like a wheel house does. once the boat is paid off I plan to look into getting one my self.

I would go with an 8 X 12. If you go any smaller you would wish you went bigger. You may want to go even larger if the kids have friends that may want to come along or if you plan on having it a long time you probably will have grandchildren that will want to go too someday.

I won't give you a size to go with, but what I use for my start to get ideas on a size for a house is simple. Get some of your kids chalk and start with a chalk out line of the floor.

Start with some of the dimentions that were mentioned, then fill in what you think you would want in the house like Heater, seats, holes,room for kids and toys (kids tend to lose intrest if fishing isn't fast and furious) and what ever else you an think of.

Once you come up with that size the rest follows along.

Remember that the bigger you go the heavier it will be to move around. another thing to remember is summer storage you have to make sure you have room on land to store it too.

Like a garage a fish house is never big enough once it is bulit.

So, a couple buddies and I built a new shack this year... we can store on site, so just a skid house... We built a double-wide smile 12x14 in two piece fashion just like a double-wide, and made so it is easy to slap together on the ice. Went together great and pretty darn easy for the first time, and next time will be easier.

It is really awesome for the room inside. More kind of a gathering place, but works awesome for fishing too! Had our first fish fry Saturday with about 20 people out there. This summer we are going to add another "middle" to make it 12x20, ha! It is nice and lightweight to pull each section easily with atv, but insulated with 1.5" rigid foam all around and lit great with a couple 16.5' strips of LEDS.

Just a thought if you have the space to store it in off season on the lake - we have lots of land off the lake to store it. It was a fun project to build, but more fun to use wink

You can see pretty quick how different people have different ideas on how much space is needed! What a shock:)

I would ask...how mobile do u want to be?

How much work can/are you willing to incur putting a house on and off, moving, etc... ?

Are the kids the age, etc...that they'll be bringing a bunch of extra "stuff"?

How much are you willing to spend?

Brads suggestion above about a Alumalite sounds like a good one to me. I bought a wheelhouse from him 2 years ago and it's a good build. I saw his skidhouses at that time and they were equally nice. In your case, because they start out as an empty box, you could add (or skip) bunks, thus saving usable space. Bunks take lots of room, and I don't have them in my wheelhouse, as I have the cabin like you. Mine is a 6x 12...plenty for 2 holes each for 3 people. If I were going skid, i'd go up a little, 8 x 12 would be a good size, and with the alumalite it's still easy to pull and get on and off.

Thanks for the ideas guys. These are some great ones! As for the aluminum skid house, those look intriguing. So how do you finish something like that off? I see that the site says the spray foam is paintable, but I'm assuming you could finish it off with paneling and special hardware as well? Questions for the seller, I guess.

8x12 is a great size for a skid house if you'll be moving it yourself. I had one a few years back. I definitely wouldn't want to go bigger...it was a hassle to move in snow.

If you are doing a wheel house, which I'd recommend for ease of moving, the sky is the limit. 8x16 is a good size.

keep in mind that those alumalite are quite lite, and would move a lot easier than some others.

As for finishing...I haven't yet. Kind of figured I'd fish it for a season and see what I wanted built in. Turns out 1/2 way thru season 2, I haven't built anything. I probably still will, but why rush into things!:)