• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black Lab Down

It is a SAD day for this "seasoned" Labrador trainer.
I got home from work this afternoon to find my Blk Lab of 10 years laying on her side in the kennel with legs slowly flailing and mostly unconscious, but knowing she knew I was there when she began to move with a very slightly quicker leg movements. I was fully aware of her coming to this last stage in her life.
She is my 6th Lab since I began training back in 1965. And you know..it doesn't get any easier when their time arrives to have to "put them down"!
She looked like she had been laying there for several hours with all the saliva and urine and feces present. My wife and I live in rural area and both work dayshift hours. So, nothing was apparent this morning b4 I left for work, until I arrived on the scene from returning from work. That is VERY HARD to bear if she laid there for some time! I decided as that was probably the case...I would personally do the deed to quickly alleviate any more suffering. My 1st and probably last!
"Raven" was diagnosed with pancreatic tumors last year and were inoperable. It became a "waiting time" for the inevitable I guess. She will be remembered as a fine duck and pheasant dog that she was!!
She is now up there with the other 5 past Labs...I told her to "givem all a bark for me".

THANKS...for the MEMORIES!

"LUND-MAN" (Lab trainer/handler since 1965"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 04-03-2003).]

Just went through the same process the end of Feb. I'm sure Docker has a spot saved for Raven to help rip through the rooties. I was on vacation while mine went down. Don't know if that makes it easier or harder. Would've liked to have spent time with her on her last few days but my parents said she was in good spirits right up until they put her in her kennel the last night. Lots of trips to plan for next year to spread her ashes where memorable hunts occurred. Keep your head up. No one ever forgets a great dog and a dog never forgets a great owner.

Fellow Water-dog owners,

I do really appreciate your compassion extended! I am 50 yrs old and have gone thru 6 Labs now and ALL but this last "Raven, I took in to have "put down" at the vet. I really did not want to do it personally but circumstance rendered the verdict in this case.

I also extend my K-9 condolences to ALL you bird-dog owners that have experienced this tremendous loss of their "man's BEST friend"!

Thanks again and I'll be spending more quality time with my 15 month old YLW Lab "Aspen" moreso now!

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Sorry about your loss. I just put down my lab Cody after a year of Cancer treatments at the U. We had beat the cancer but a problem with his spine caused him to loose cotrol of his back end. He would have been 10 this June.You are right, it doesn't get any easier.

One note to add regarding Dog cancer. Chemo on dogs is nothing like it is on humans. Cody was only slightly tired by the treatments and the U is a leader in Canine
Cancer if you are unlucky enough to have to investigate.

There's 3 down to cancer(didn't list cause with mine and she was 12 1/2 anyways). I'm sure we'll hear plenty more. Seems to be a big cause of lost companions when buyers come to look at our puppies. Maybe its time we grab these dog food manufacturers by the short and curlys and say enough is enough. mad.gif

They don't call them mans best friend for nothing! You can scold them, yell at them, and they will still come back to you wagging there tail and give you a lick on the face. It dont get any better than that.

------------------
Hunt&Fish tell you drop!

Mans best friend, some men say that there wives are there best friend, Well take your dog and your wife lockem in the garage togother for 8hr. open the door and just see who, your best friend is. never tryed it my self, like living to much. Gar

Lundman, my condolences. Its tough, they're so loyal, and always always always happy to see you. As Gar was hinting at, I wish I could say that about my wife!! I have a 13 year old lab that the vet says has breast cancer, and at her age didn't advice any surgery. He also said that spaying them helps prevent that, wish I would have known, she would have gotten that after the last pups at the age of 7. Bryce, what were you getting at with the 'dog food manufacturers'?

I know the feeling. I lost my 15 year old Springer this past January (actually on my B-day). He was around since I was 14. Fortunately enough for me he passed away sometime in a 2 hour period and when I returned home was already gone. It is very hard to lose our hunting partners, companions and most of all best friends. It reminds ourselves (or at least me) that it is not bagging our limit everytime we enter the field but appreciating and remembering the experience as a whole. That is what is important. Sorry for your lose Lund-man, get out there as much as you can with Aspen!

smile.gif**************THANKYOU!*************** smile.gif

The "LUND-MAN" extends his heart-felt sympathy to those in the same boat & his heart-felt gratitude to ALL!! smile.gif

"LUND-MAN" (Labrador Retriever trainer/handler since 1965)

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

lund you have my deepest sympathy
the summer of 2001 i had two mixed
lab pups my wife and i went to the drs
i came back to take both to the vets
i found max's brother yoshi my wifes dog
in the kennel dead he died from parvo,
luckly we saved max.. he's two years old
i'm having trouble training him
i know i should've done it when he was 6 weeks old i kept putting it off i wanted to take max with me this fall hunting i hope you can help.max's name is maximus
from the movie gladiator with russell crowe

Lund-man...It never gets easier...Here's a poem I read when I put down a dog a couple years ago...hope it helps smile.gif

THE POWER OF THE DOG

Buy a puppy and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie -
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Never the less it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, tumor, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair -
But...you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short term loan is as bad as a long -
So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling

Good Luck with the new pup. I know walking to the side of him are the spirits of all your past dogs!

Ken

THANKS again guys!

What a excellent group of bird-dog owners you are in here! grin.gif Thanks especially for that poem LABS4ME! (sniff-sniff)

I very much appreciate you ALL! grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"