• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Fishing from Pontoon

luckydave

Question for pontoon boat fishermen. I do mostly trolling and jigging for walleyes on Leech Lake. I don't foresee any big problems in trolling from a pontoon, but what about jigging where you are drifting with the wind? I can see where it isn't as good as using a deep-v fishing rig, but is it out of the question with a pontoon? I know wind has some effect but is is too uncontrollable? Some feedback from those using a pontoon would really be appreciated. Thank you.

I have fished eyes while drifting off the pontoon plenty. I learned to run up wind of my drift and use either the trolling motor or the main motor to stall the drift. A drift sock can be very useful when drifting with a pontoon. Another thing that takes a bit of practice is using the motor as a rudder with the motor turned off to steer along weed edges and such. Prety tough boat control when the winds are over 10 mph but you can backtroll when winds are up more then 10.

Tunrevir~

buy a large drift sock, problem solved

When we go to leach every year on family vacation I leave the boat home and rent a pontoon and we put a drift sock on each corner of the pontoon boat and It works out really well for drifting lindys and stuff

Use the trolling motor/drift sock combo. I like to have the trolling motor right on the weed edge and the back of the boat out in deeper water. That way you can really keep an eye on where you are/were/heading all while you got a line down right in front of you and the rest in the back dont have to worry about anything but fishing. Best way to go out with the family and catch fish.