• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Striker Ice Hard Water Vs. Striker Ice Lite

Jared_P

I have been doing some research on both of these but i am having a hard time deciding which one to get. I am really only looking for the bibs right now and then possible a coat to add to it next year. My current fishing is outside "some" but i have a permanent and two portables that I use more often as well. I am wondering if the Lite would do or if the hard water would be better to have. I know you can solve a lot with layering, so i am looking for some opinions. I have tried on the hard water and in the store i was warming up quickly. I haven't got a chance to try on the Lite's yet but I would assume they are lighter (in weight) than the hard waters. Also, after some research i have heard about the crotch seams pulling out from the inside and outside. Has this issue been fixed? Is this on both the hard water and lite's? Thanks for any and all opinions...

JP

I have the Lite and love it. Usually only wear jeans and sweatshirt underneath and stay plenty warm. I fish 95% of the time outside, so if it's -30, I'm staying home. I would go with the Lite if you only fish outside "some", I think it's rated to like -15. I believe the stitching issue has been resolved as it was only happening on some of the first suits.

I can't speak to the Hardwater version but I have the Lite and enjoy it. I do virtually all of my fishing from my snowmobile and portable; often in bad conditions such as the case will be this weekend in Ely. I haven't even considered bringing a back up suit.

Some of my other trips have been in Ontario involving 40 mile sled rides and I don't stay home if it's -30. I do layer under the suit in extreme conditions but my packing has become more condensed since I got this suit. smile

No, it's not the one in my avatar. Hopefully I'll get a new pic for that this weekend. grin

I bought the Hardwater bibs from Thorne Bros after christmas and I'll tell you it's one of the best investments I've made. It has totally changed the way I fish and it has given me the opportunity to travel really light (auger, rod, flasher). I dont even use my portable or heater anymore because it's become a pain to haul around. Since we can drive on the ice now, I drive to the spot I want to fish, drill holes and start fishing. When Im done, I just hop in my car and leave. Also when everybody on the lake is sitting inside of their portable w/ the heat on, Im the guy sitting outside fishing.

The reason why I went with the hardwater instead of the Lite is because of the ability to vent from the hips down the feet on both suits, so I thought having more insulation is better than not enough. Like others have stated, if you are fishing inside most of the time, the Hardwater might become an issue. I myself started to overheat in a buddies shack.

I have looked at the lite bibs but not been able to try them on since there was only a large left. Do you think the sizes run the same from the Lite to the Hardwater? i thought i would need a 2XL but they seemed big where as the XL seemed alot better fit. I am 6'1 230lb...medium build. I did like the knee reenforcement/material on the hardwater better than the lite. Do the knee's hold up pretty well when hovering around the hole in slushy situations? You guys got me leaning back towards the lite bibs again. Thanks...

JP

I was torn as well. Ended up getting the striker climate suit. But, so far have really only used it without the liner, even on some windy lakes like Mille Lacs and Red. In retrospect would think the lite might be heavy enough......

Call Dave at Pro Fishing supply about the sizing...he has charts for the different makes. And knowledgable about the product. Their add is on the sidebar

In retrospect would think the lite might be heavy enough......

I've heard several other owners say the same. Some say they should just do away with the Lite name and call it the Regular or something.

For what it's worth, I've always been able to handle the cold pretty well but I use quality layers under my suits. If you're a person who gets cold easily you might want to think about the warmer version. But really, the Lite is warmer than Carhartt's or even the old Refrigawear.

Im a little shorter so the reinforce knees are actually just under my knees and towards my chin. All of my outings, I kneel down and fish. I dont know if the whole suit is waterproof or not but I do get some leaking(Im assuming between stitching & seams). it's not a whole lot of water but I do notice that my layer(s) underneath the suit is wet. also, when I take my suit off there is a wet patch of water on my under layer around the knee area and the inside of the suit is moist (by the knee). But like I said it might be because Im shorter and im kneeling on the seam.

Theres been a couple of my outings where I will pull up the bib so when I kneel I'll be on the reinforced knee part and I can say that there is no moisture that leaks through.

I have the climate and its the best of both worlds because you can take the liner out or leave it in depending on conditions. Very impressed with it and the features overall. I haven't worn it but I bet the lite would be good the majority of the time if in a house.

Bought the hardwater at the end of last year and then the Climate this year, and in my opinion the climate make the hardwater look like a middle school home ec sewing project. I think the materials use in the Climit are well worth the extra money and the look is so much better too. I would put the quality of the the Climit above any Columbia product I've owned. I only wore the hardwater out on the ice and with the climate I have worn the jacket every day to every place I go since the day I bought it! The crotch ripped on my hardwater the first time wearing them, Striker fixed them now the a$$ ripped out just like the crotch. I'm sure the new ones are better but to me it's like it's not even like they come from the same company.

The Striker Lites are floatation suits also.

Here's a few shots of us fishing Saturday afternoon in breezy single digit temps with the Lite suits. The day started out warm and I didn't want to over heat so skipped putting on one of my usual layers. I planned on being in the house all day but spent the last half outside hole hopping.

With the breeze, minus one layer and the temps, it was just enough to make me say I found the line where I would want a Hardwater or Climate on vs. the Lite. That's pretty good in my opinion.

By the way, I did buy my suit. wink

On the ice

So i pulled the trigger and got the Hardwater Bibs. I know if you look back in the post everyone suggested the Lite but...after many conversations in my head and debates, i decided that i wanted to expand my fishing. I originally had stated that i fish in a house "some" but i think that i need to get out and explore more. i really wanted just a pair of bibs to begin with and possibly add a coat next year. After trying them on numorous times to see what size would be the best i decided to buy them. I really liked the had warmer pockets, the material in the knee's, the zippers and just the over all feel of them. I figured that i will still fish in a house but with that, i probably don't need to dress as warm because of a heater. I want to expand my fishing to include hole hopping outside and i think this is the first step in the right direction. Thank you all for your suggestions and don't think that i asked a question and then didn't listen. I have been back and forth so many times until i made th purchase. I hope they hold up and have none of the issues ihave read about...but if they do it sounds like Striker stands by their stuff. Thanks again fella's...

JP

Bought the hardwater at the end of last year and then the Climate this year, and in my opinion the climate make the hardwater look like a middle school home ec sewing project. I think the materials use in the Climit are well worth the extra money and the look is so much better too. I would put the quality of the the Climit above any Columbia product I've owned. I only wore the hardwater out on the ice and with the climate I have worn the jacket every day to every place I go since the day I bought it! The crotch ripped on my hardwater the first time wearing them, Striker fixed them now the a$$ ripped out just like the crotch. I'm sure the new ones are better but to me it's like it's not even like they come from the same company.

I have a feeling you may have last years Ice suit.. If it has a bobber on it it was last years suit.. I can put money on it that its last years suit and not this years hardwater suit.. but the issues have been fixed.