• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Searching out Walleyes

Dozer

Yeah,

Thanks Tunrevir!

The last few nights same thing. 1 or 2 walleye between 6-9pm. That's all. During the daylight hours I have drilled holes all around the hump I'm on from the top, which is 24' to the bottom which is 41' on one side. Getting perch in a lot of different depth through the day, but no eye's. Still haven't moved the shack from the top of the hump, but I may try tonight, or at least try some holes in different spots outside of my shack after dark. Here is what is looks like where I'm set up.full-19940-29533-photo.png

I am no expert on winter walleyes, but I would start by drilling a series of holes towards the left of the hump (from the screenshot) and move towards the point of the hump.

How deep of water is the narrow down area off the right of the hump? If its shallower water, I would try punching holes over there as well because fish may use that narrow down area as a fish highway to get to and from feeding locations.

First thing I'd do if I was getting walleyes at a certain depth is target that depth around the top of the hump and progressively drill holes around the edge working towards the tip at the bottom of the screen but I'd also check deep towards the saddle in 41'. The base of the hump during daylight would be a good spot to poke around and the tops towards evening.

We moved the house last night to just off the point on the hump, in 27 feet. No luck except for a couple perch, but only fished til 7:30pm. Got a feeling I should go back on the top of the hump in 24'.

Tunrevir, I like that idea of trying the 41' spot at the base during daytime. I might give it a shot this afternoon if it's not too cold and windy. smile

What I like to do is find the depth where rock turns to mud and see if any fish are there. Keep moving away from the reef stay in soft bottom. Sometimes the fish relate to the structure a ways out. Don't be afraid to fish deeper. If you don't get any action relocate to another spot.

So we moved the shack to directly over the 41' hole yesterday. 3 guys, so we had 6 lines down. crappie minnow, fathead on plain hook, buckshot spoon w fathead head, small sucker on plain hook. tried everything. We pulled up 2 perch before sundown, then nothing at all even showed up on the flasher before we left at 9:30 pm. I guess I can eliminate that spot for now. We thought about moving back to the top of the hump at sundown, but we decided it was too cold and windy last night. This afternoon I am going out and putting the shack back on top of the hump in 24' more towards the point.

Try putting the house right at the base of the hump between the 34 and 35 foot marker or between the 35 and 36 foot marker (right up against the steep break heading shallow). They may be heading up from 50ft+ of water and you will be waiting for them right at that steep break in 34 to 36 feet (I would try closer to 34 if you already tried 41).

They may not even need to waste their energy to swim to the top of the break/hump because there is enough food on that 34 foot "resting" flat... then back to the depths they go with full belly's...

My buddies have been catching Walleye out in 45 feet of water on Tonka lately...

I have to agree w/Dave. Thats a perfect feeding flat. The may also chase up into the shallows further to the left on the map if there is still some green weeds that are holding bait over there. Keep moving and if all else fails you know where the were to begin. Good luck!

Im kind of a newb to walleye fishing. I know were getting a little late in the season and the bite can be tough but i havent been able to either find them or get them to comit. My question is, do the eyes usually move deeper during this time of year? Or, do they start to occupy different types of structure this late in the game?

Thanks for the idea's guys. If I can get out there this afternoon, I may give it a shot near the 34' spot at the base of the hump.

I've been out on top of the 24' hump for several days and we are still getting 1 or 2 eye's per evening, but that's it. The perch are still there and active before sundown, then they are gone.

I don't know if I mentioned it already, but this is on Tonka as well. East side of the lake, very clear water.