• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is this? (Answer posted)

Most steerable farm equipment now has no direct steering shaft to the front steering wheels.The steering valve in the cab directs hyr. oil to the front steeing cylinder when you turn the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel to the left, oil goes to one side of the cylinder, turn right, directs oil to other side of the steering cylinder. Engine or pump quits, valves shut, locking oil in between steering valve and steering cyl and then you have manual steering. This is just a basic discription of how tractor and combines are steered. There are a few other systems used, but are basicly the same.
that makes quite a bit of sense. with full electric, if it quits you are SOL.

Even with today's electric steering systems (G6 Pontiacs have it) there is still a physical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels. If you lose electric assistance it is still possible to steer the vehicle.

Similar to a hydraulically powered steering system that breaks a belt or blows a hose and loses hydraulic assistance, it is much more difficult to turn the wheel, if you lose electric power assistance it will also be hard to steer, but steering will still be possible.

I've heard that Nissan is going to a total drive by wire system that will automatically steer for you to avoid an imminent crash. Seems like bad things could happen there. confused

I see Audi is working on releasing a vehicle that communicates with smartphones and will drive itself to you. Planned release is 2014.

So the Mrs. can be at the shopping mall, start the car from her smart phone to warm up and then tell the car to drive to the other side of MOA to pick her up.

Ev

I've heard that Nissan is going to a total drive by wire system that will automatically steer for you to avoid an imminent crash. Seems like bad things could happen there. confused

Yeah, swerve to miss a deer in the road and turn you right into the train heading your way that it didn't sense.

Hmmmm....dunno. I'd be willing to wager it'd do a better job at crash avoidance than a good many inattentive or inexperienced drivers.

I guess it remains to be seen whether the crashes they supposedly avoid would have been better or worse than the ones they cause. Should be lots of finger pointing going on in the impending lawsuits wink

So this can be seen as a business opportunity?