• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics accuracy...

Thunderfoot

It hasn't been very accurate for me as far as showing my gps location and the correct depths. I have been able to compare depth changes and shorelines to figure out where I am actually on the map compared to where the arrow shows me.

I never said I couldn't find what I needed at 20 ft off, which was just a guess, I just wanted to know if I was the only one experiencing this, I wasn't even complaining, at $10 what's there to complain about? I know a lot of lakes are low but as far as depth the app said 16' and vex said 26', that seemed pretty drastic. It's a fairly steep drop but it just seemed to be a lot. Comparing the navionics map to the DNR map it seems accurate, I think it was just my phone. I have no experience with GPS, unless it's in a car, so it's fairly new to me. Yes I am a novice angler and if you don't think I belong out there that's fine, won't slow me down a bit.
You answered your own question as to why you had an issue. Steep drop PLUS the inherent inaccuracy of a GPS causes what you see. If it were a gradual drop it wouldnt seem so drastic.

I used it all weekend on a few lakes in southern MN with my Droid Incredible 2, and for the most part it was spot on. always showed me a foot or two deepr than i was, but the lakes are down around here. more than worth the $10 I spent on it. It has lakes in High Definition that my h2oC with the lakemaster chip does not.

When I was in Eagan after Christmas, I marked a spot on my Navionics app and it showed I was on a point when in reality, I was 50 to 100 yards from the point. According to the way point, I was in 15 fow instead of 20.

I'm thinking that's a GPS problem more than a navionic problem.

You should be able to find an app that displays your gps diagnostics, like how many satellites it's getting signal from and the approximate accuracy in +/- feet.

Shorelines and whatnot are usually dead on for any mapping software. It's the underwater stuff that can get a bit screwy.

What I've found for most lakes though, is that if the vex says its 15 foot and the software says 18, then the whole lake is off by 3 foot.