• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

H & R Ultra Slug Hunter

I was also using a Mossberg 500 up until 3 years ago when I got one of the savage 220f guns. Deadly accurate! I'm putting 6" groups together at 135 yards with factory ammo! I know I could do better than this too if I could find more 3” slugs. Right now I’m using the 2 ¾ federal accutip after trying all the major brands. These did the best.

They also make it in a 12 gauge but from the research I did, the 20 had the same ballistics and less kick.

I bought one of these a few years ago as an inexpensive gun when I got invited to SE MN to deer hunt in the shotgun/muzzleloader zone. I have to say it is some of the best $$ i have ever spent. Because it is a single shot it has no receiver and is very compact and handy. I got mine in twenty guage. It has become my go to gun, even up north where I can use a rifle. I hunt in big woods where the range is more than adequate. Mine is sighted in 3" high at 100, puts it 1" low at 150 with 2 3/4 shells. My biggest problem now is that I have a son who started hunting last year and he loves it too! Guess I will be purchasing another. He loves the simplicity of it, and it is VERY accurate. Take the time to find the brand of slugs that it likes and you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Sorry it took me a while to get back on this one. I shoot federal 5/8 oz copper solids with good results in 2 3/4 in. Just make sure you buy slugs that are meant only for a rifled barrel. They are quite spendy, about 15 bucks for a box of 5. The good news is that as it is a single shot and quite accurate you won't have to shoot it a lot. Last year my son and I shot it about 7 times. 5 rounds to confirm zero and let him get used to the gun, 2 times to kill 2 deer. When we want to practice we use other (less expensive to shoot) guns. Good luck, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.