• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam Switchback Review

graf703

After having many issues with the Clam Command Post thermal (A previous 4 page thread with many users reporting identical issues was deleted a couple weeks ago, no reply from the admins why). My fourth command post to fail out of the box was instead replaced with the Switchback. Most of my review will contrast the two as I have limited experience with any other shelters.

The switchback is similar sized once the extra portion is expanded the extra 4 ft. 8x10 for the switchback and 6x12 for the command post.. I haven't set it up in the more condensed size, but at 6x8 I imagine two people could fish well enough. I actually prefer the footprint of the 8x10 over the 6x12. I felt cramped in the command post trying to get out the shelter from behind anyone else.

The material is not thermal. I think that may be the source of the command post thermal's failings. This is nylon very similar to what I find on my custom boat cover. It feels stronger and I would wager it handles stitching seems much much better. I never noticed condensation in the command post walls. The windows would ice over. The Switchback gather's a fair amount of condensation. In a few hours of running the heater 3 people breathing and a furry golden retriever I only noticed one drip from the ceiling.

The switchback zippers line up and match well with very easing opening and closing The command post always seemed to be wrapped very tight around the frame requiring a fair amount of zipper force.

The expansion panel is interesting. The extra 4 ft of space is nice, but it would be nicer with enough room to stand up. Sitting is fine, but standing isn't an option. There are two rods that push out against the wall to give some ceiling expansion. Ideally, I would like a 8x10 that was a full wall instead of the extra 4 ft bump out.

Overall, the build quality seems much better. It looks more durable and the hubs fit the material well. The bag is oversized enough that it is easy to fit in even when cold and a little iced up.

At 325 from GM I can say it is a fair price to fish 4 people especially if you usually fish 2 and just want to have extra room for kids or golden retrievers when they come along. I will add some pictures the next time I am out.

I had the shelter out on lake of the woods this weekend. One zipper separated. I can't get it back into mesh. One morning was pretty cold. We kept the shelter inside so it wasn't frozen and it dried out pretty well. After a quick trip to the ice one of the windows completely let go. The shelter is only two weeks old.