• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MNMONSTER

What flasher to get for a back up?

I would find a used cheap Marcum. They are ok for a "backup" behind a Vex or Bird! wink

You startin' something leech!?!?! grin

I'm confused why would you need a backup? Oh, you bought a Marcum or Hummingbird....... Seriously, I see every brand except Vexilar's bomb out on guys on the tournament trail. Funny, lot's of those guys still run a FL-8 for a backup or when weeds come into play.

Looking at a vex like fl 20, or fl 22. I know luoma said they dont dump out but they do, I have some friends that have them and not to happy. They told me not to get one but I would like to try them.

Just looked on that Craig guys list, there is a Zercom LCF40 listed for $100. I own one, great unit, no color, great grey scale unit, runs forever on a charge. It would be a great backup unit.

If your looking at a 20 or 22 save some money and get a better unit in the LX-5, or 6/7 if you have the coin... The 7 is a sweet machine

The LX7 looks sweet but that is a lot of coin looking to stay around the 500 mark. Maybe can wait and get one on sale.

For $500 or less you can get into a new LX-5, dont think you can get a 22 for that or a 20 for that matter and you give up alot of options for more money...

A backup? Get a bird 35. Still has the adjustable zoom and bigger screen. You'd still have money left over to buy more tackle. And new auger blades. And....you get my point.

fleet farm currently has a sale on both Vexilars and Marcums. Vexilar FL-8 and FL-18 Genz box units and the Marcum VX-1, LX3TC, & LX 6. all these except the LX 6 would come in under your $500 budget.

I would take my vx1 over a fl8 any day. Also great service from marcum if your unit doesn't look like it was drug behind the pick up to the lake.

I'm a little partial to Marcum, but I'd probably get a Bird 35 if I was in your shoes, since you'd be familiar with the controls, plus it seems like it's easier to get units from the same manufacturer to play together with minimal adjustment.

get a vevlar and you will not need a backup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

what are these vevlars that you speak of?

i'm still chuckling at a fl8 for the weeds.

$500 is a lot of money to spend on a "backup" unit.

Just get a used LX3TC. Can buy them under $350 all day. Bought mine for $250 (but I practically stole it).

A vexilar is too annoying to listen too buzzing all the dang time and their cartoonish "flat screen" models with the big blob lines dont do it for me.

I would have to agree on the Bird 35. My girlfriend got one of these as an Xmas gift and after seeing it on the ice several times I really like it. It plays really well with others and is easy to dial in to get your jig to appear as a single green line. Quieter than a vexilar by quite a bit too. I don't know that there are any other units out there that give you the same bang for your buck as the 35 does. I will be looking into one at the end of the year clearance sales for sure. Fleet farm already had them for around $270 earlier this year, which I think is a great value.

I'd like to have a 2nd flasher for taking people fishing who don't have one. I'd get a marcum vx1. $250. I currently own a vx1, purchased 2 years ago for the same price, purchased from a friend who won it at a tourny.

A backup unit? Id say look on the classifieds and spend no more then $200.

If going new unit then per price point @ mark down or clearance:

1. Showdown Troller

2. Ice 35

3. Marcum VX1

For $500 or less you can get into a new LX-5, dont think you can get a 22 for that or a 20 for that matter and you give up alot of options for more money...
Second That

The back up to my flasher (FL20) is a FL22, then a FL18. Most trips just bring the 20 and 22 unless one of the people fishing with me doesn't have a flasher then bring the 18 too.

Too many problems with the Marcums to recommend one as a primary unit let alone a back up unit! I can see a new truck needing some reflashes but a fish finder? LOL!!!

Yes, the Vex is behind on technology compared to the others but they work and will work for decades...

BTW, saw that $100 color point on the list and that's a good price for a decent unit, used to run one. The picture shows the two dials have the plastic on them which means it must have been used only a couple times. Every other one including my old one had the plastic on the knobs break off after a couple weeks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Since there isn't a lot of covering ground I just don't need the last 30 seconds on a graph or a GPS map to know I've been sitting in the same spot for the last hour.  My phone is always on me when I need to move and I run navionics.  Half the year I'm in my truck when I'm on the move anyway.  If I'm on a dogsled in the bwca I have a handheld.   I'll stick to the flasher.   I upgraded to a bigger screen with the bird, but I just dont need a ton of features that really only make sense on a moving boat.   Just my two cents.
    • Graphs are nice for fishing in a boat for sure.  They show you the nice big history picture of what has already gone by and gives you a good view of what the changing bottom depths look like as you float around.  Really though, when your fishing in a little hole over the same bottom for an hour or all day. What’s the point?  The important part of a graph for ice fishing is that ¼” or so of edge on the far right and what is happening on it real time.  Which then, is just like a Flasher only giving you real time info and why I went back to one from my graph.   Worley Worley!  😉  
    • Good luck on your hunt, let us know how you do!
    • I have another weekend in me to fish and fight the winds and weather and then the boat will be done for the year.  Guess it is that time of the season but would really love to get another couple outings in but such is life! 
    • who uses flashers now days haha; I'm a helix convert now too, i was hesitant at first as the Lowrance had a LCD screen a few years ago for ice fishing but the lag was unusable, but hbird figured it out. Mapping, flasher screen if wanted, and sonar all in one, its like a smartphone; everything in one.   also, I have not had any interference issues with others using the helix, especially with all of hte chirp setttings
    • Looks like a good time 
    • I love my Helix unit also, and GPS has been a game changer for me. No more fumbling with my phone in the cold with apps eating my battery and trying to keep it out of the elements.    I miss the simplicity of my Marcum VX-1 but after getting my Helix dialed in I have no complaints.
    • SD resident opener was a wet one. Saturday I didn't go out. Sunday morning woke up with 4.5" inches of snow at my place a few miles south of Sioux Falls. Never would I have imagined we would be able to hunt in snow this early! The other odd part is that none of the weather people even hinted at any accumulation or even predicted any chance of precip. It literally just came out of nowhere.   Yesterday I hunted the entire day from noon to sundown and was fortunate enough to still have some snow stick around in areas.. My only summary is swamp country. I wore the wrong boots, wrong pants etc. Should have just wore waders would have been able access things better. My biggest mistake was not going far enough west and not far enough north. But there is a ton of public land where I headed and I hadn't been able to scout that way yet this year. Everything that looked walkable was wet it didnt matter how high or low it was. If it looked good at knee level it very likely had ankle high standing water under it. Ditches were full of water, some roads were underwater it was just wet everywhere and I don't see any signs of any harvesting starting any time soon. The water just made things difficult to walk as some areas I am familiar with. I could walk one side and work it good, but then get land locked because of water and have no way of getting to the other sides and ended up back tracking and walking a lot of same areas twice  which usually isnt productive.   I only managed 1 bird all day. I missed 1 bird my first walk probably at 12:01pm right after getting out of the truck. Just was slow to get the gun up and was way behind it. Typically early season lull, I think I just stared at the bird before I even realized I should be trying to shoot it. I downed another bird early afternoon and I knew it wasn't hit hard. Made a good mark on it and then my dog got a good track and pinned it down. As I went to grab it with my hand the dog released and the bird took off like a bat out of hell and we never were able to recover it because of all of the water. As soon as I put my hand on it, it just exploded and was gone. Was just an odd scenario.   Saw a few other hens but otherwise a very very slow day. I had spotted a bunch of birds coming out of some CRP earlier in the day that headed for corn. I came back an hour before sundown and hunkered down hopefully to get some pokes at them during the golden hour and they never showed up. I know the birds are around but all the crops in makes it difficult to hunt during the day.   I dont know what to suggest for people coming for the big opener this weekend. Its going to be difficult with so many crops in. I would say anywhere north of HWY 14 should be a little drier in areas but they have still seen some moisture the last couple weeks. Up near Brown county they are basically in a drought and down in the south eastern part of the state we are breaking yearly precipitation records. Harvest is off to a slow start all over. I know this weekend is the big opener everyone gets fired up for but if it were me I would be coming back for late season hunts and skip the circus this weekend.   I wont be hitting it hard any time soon will probably just stick to some sundown hunts closer to home for now. I have some gopro footage I need to get edited from yesterday got alot of good stuff on video including the bird that got away.   Good luck to those heading out this weekend!
    • I'd like to see how the Helix handles interference.   Interference was the reason I went from my Interphase Video to a flasher. Currently using HBird Ice 45 and MarCum LX5.
    • I put all the boats put away,  subsequently the rain stopped.  I'll take that and finish pulling the dock in.