• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What flasher to get for a back up?

MNMONSTER

I'm confused why would you need a backup? Oh, you bought a Marcum or Hummingbird....... Seriously, I see every brand except Vexilar's bomb out on guys on the tournament trail. Funny, lot's of those guys still run a FL-8 for a backup or when weeds come into play.

fleet farm currently has a sale on both Vexilars and Marcums. Vexilar FL-8 and FL-18 Genz box units and the Marcum VX-1, LX3TC, & LX 6. all these except the LX 6 would come in under your $500 budget.

I'm a little partial to Marcum, but I'd probably get a Bird 35 if I was in your shoes, since you'd be familiar with the controls, plus it seems like it's easier to get units from the same manufacturer to play together with minimal adjustment.

$500 is a lot of money to spend on a "backup" unit.

Just get a used LX3TC. Can buy them under $350 all day. Bought mine for $250 (but I practically stole it).

A vexilar is too annoying to listen too buzzing all the dang time and their cartoonish "flat screen" models with the big blob lines dont do it for me.

I would have to agree on the Bird 35. My girlfriend got one of these as an Xmas gift and after seeing it on the ice several times I really like it. It plays really well with others and is easy to dial in to get your jig to appear as a single green line. Quieter than a vexilar by quite a bit too. I don't know that there are any other units out there that give you the same bang for your buck as the 35 does. I will be looking into one at the end of the year clearance sales for sure. Fleet farm already had them for around $270 earlier this year, which I think is a great value.

The back up to my flasher (FL20) is a FL22, then a FL18. Most trips just bring the 20 and 22 unless one of the people fishing with me doesn't have a flasher then bring the 18 too.

Too many problems with the Marcums to recommend one as a primary unit let alone a back up unit! I can see a new truck needing some reflashes but a fish finder? LOL!!!

Yes, the Vex is behind on technology compared to the others but they work and will work for decades...

BTW, saw that $100 color point on the list and that's a good price for a decent unit, used to run one. The picture shows the two dials have the plastic on them which means it must have been used only a couple times. Every other one including my old one had the plastic on the knobs break off after a couple weeks.