• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cross Wrap Question

I've received the book "Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman for Christmas this year and couldn't put it down once I started to read it. My question that I have is how do you mark the 0 and 180 degrees on the rod blank before you start? Also, do you use the dividers to scratch the surface to do you use a thread as Tom suggests in the book?

I know Tom mentioned in the book about using colored tape as a means of developing a pattern before hand to see it. I've found that if you can use a program called MS Power Point you can create the "X" and use colored lines to simulate your thread color. Each successive color line is overlaid on top just as a thread would be. This, I've found to be very helpful for me and goes pretty quick. I just thought I would share that bit of info for those that might not have thought of it.

There is a jig you can buy to mark and scribe 0 and 180 degrees on the blank. I have a set of calipers that I use to lay out the spacings. Windows paint app works pretty good at building a cross wrap too, tape would be a bit more of a pain.

Here is a how to I did about creating an eagle wrap. The first pic shows the layout jig.

Eagle wrap

Here is another how to, this time roses. It also shows how I used the free app in windows to do basic layout and test colors.

Roses.

Just keep plugging along, that is what I do.

I hope seeing the layout and the progression of the wraps helps make sense of how cross wraps work. Seeing it in print and even with instructions don't make a ton of sense until you see one develop sequence by sequence.

upnorth,

I have another question about cross wraps.

When your pattern isn't completely filled and shows some of the rod blank do you still scratch the blank completely from one end to the other within the pattern area or do you do something different in that case?

I did find the cross wrap tools and fixtures along with some instructional booklet by Flexcoat, are these the ones you were thinking about?

Thanks Again

I use a razer blade to get a fine point on the china marker. I have done the wraps before and after I have done the guides. To me there isn't much differance. Most I do after the guides are on that way I can take a string from the reel set to the guide (guides are already lined up) and make sure my cross wrap is all lined up after a few wraps.

All good advice here.

I would suggest looking at Billy Vivona's book.

I my self learned from the Flex Coat and Dale Clemens publications years back.

There is a few different ways to lay out cross wraps and I have taken a liking to Billy's way now a days.

Billy was a guest speaker at the Tri-State Rod builders GTG this Fall in Iowa and Chad H and my self had the opportunity to attend. Billy covered cross wrap layouts and asked around the room a few of the same questions you have asked here and with 35 rod builders from 6 different states almost everyone had a slightly different tip or trick for the lay out.

Billy's book covers a no non sense approach to cross wraps and watching him in a demonstration has changed my approach to this task.