• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Fisherman For a Lifetime

Fried Mooneye (Yes, it's Good)

Hey,

Last week my Wife caught a Mooneye on the St. Croiz River, she never saw it before and I was going to throw it back.

She said, no, keep it, so I did.

She gutted it out, de-scaled it, put many knife slices, about 1/8" apart, in each side.

Then she sprinkled kosher salt & some pepper on both sides & inside and it sat in the frig until the next day.

Then she fried it in extra virgin olive oil and ate it, head & all.

She loved it, I tried it, and we both said it tasted like Crappie.

So, there you go... a recipe for Mooneye!

You think they are good fried.... try them smoked!!!!

They were always a treat growing up; when we would catch them sucker fishing in the spring.

Have basically come to the conclusion that most fish are decent tasting. But a lot of it comes down to the bones. Whats the scoop on the bones?

Could do like the classic way to cook suckers... Grind them up and make fish patties. The bones get ground up enough to not be annoying it is said.

I've heard the same about Sheephead. Haven't brought myself to try it yet. Lord knows I catch enough of 'em

Last summer I tried smoking 3 16-17" sheepies. Cherry wood, brown sugar in the cavity and a bit lighter smoke. I thought it was just as good as any store bought white fish. My bro in law though, he ate all of them before anyone else had more than a taste lol.

I've heard the same about Sheephead. Haven't brought myself to try it yet. Lord knows I catch enough of 'em

I'm with ya. Never have kept them, but I keep hearing how great the flavor is, the texture is, etc. Even read an article by a walleye guide who prefers drum to walleyes. I guess I'll have to be brave next time wink

Use Red fish Magic seasoning on those sheepies. Blacken them... they are just fresh water cousins to redfish which is a highly sought after gamefish in saltwater. Blackened sheepies rock! They go faster than any other fish I put out on the table. done it a half dozen times and have been told better than walleye, better than crappie!

Just remove the lateral line. I actually cut that away and the belly meat. The rest is good firm white meat. MMM MMM

Good Luck!

Ken

But a lot of it comes down to the bones. Whats the scoop on the bones?
If somewhere in the universe, there are aliens having the same discussion about us, I hope that humans are the bony ones in the discussion grin