• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do motorcycleists do to kill the winter woes... ( general banter thread)

JOHNBIGDOG

Yea, you're right leech. I've done that for the last few years, but was told last year it wasn't necessary as long as they're stored with a full charge in the fall.

Pulled out the 750 ATV the other day and the battery on that one had run dry, froze solid, and actually blew out the casing on both ends!!!

Long story short, $85 later, and a new battery tender, lesson learned.

I'll be pulling em' all and bringing em' inside next fall. Let's see; go-karts, motorcycle, riding mowers, boat, camper, ATV's, and sleds. I think I'm going to need a bigger work bench. wink Those dog-gone toy batteries are getting expensive!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave a battery maintainer on my bike all winter. Do not even take the battery out. Start it once or twice over the winter and it always has a full charge. Sam... I get it! Sonars, snowmobiles, deep cycle for fish house, deep cycle for trolling motor, motorcycle, tools... sheesh!

Good Luck!

Ken

oops ATVs, lawn mowers... ugggh

does you bike have a clock in it? The Instrument cluster may be the draw. It is a good idea to store the battery inside and I tend to try to charge the battery once a month.

Not sure if your reply is for me JBD but I didn't post that I had any discharge issues as I stated that I pull all my batteries and store them inside for the winter. Plus my bike is a Dual Sport and doesn't have one of those fancy Doodads on it! grin

does you bike have a clock in it? The Instrument cluster may be the draw. It is a good idea to store the battery inside and I tend to try to charge the battery once a month.

I was kinda replying to Sam, as his bikes battery discharged. I must of taken too long to press enter

Nope, no clock. Just mechanical speed, odometer, no gas gauge, etc. I bought my bike off an insurance auction. It had been totaled in a lay down, slide into a car accident. I replaced all the busted and scratched bolt-on parts, did a little painting, drove it to the DMV and got a new CLEAR title on it!

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her. She just tears thru a full battery charge pretty quick, whether I'm using it frequently or not. She's always been pretty cold-blooded, so starting her mid-winter, or even now can take a little work. I kinda figured I was just burning too much juice just getting her fired up.

What else could cause a slow drain? I make sure my terminal connections are spotless clean, and tight as a drum. Loose wire somewhere internally?

I seem to have the same issue with my AC 750 ATV. The one that I just found the cracked battery in. I could just as well keep battery tenders on both these machines for how often, even in the summertime, I have to re-charge the batteries.