• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam XL 4000T Hub house

DTro

They sent me the key rings with little rope pulls that look like they work a lot better. They should just start with those. The rubberized ones look nice but "snap!" For the floor, I use the interlocking foam mats too. I do 4x8 mat in the middle and holes on each side. Kids usually end up sitting on the mats versus the chairs to watch the movie I'll sometimes play for them. laugh Madagascar 3 gave me an hour and a half of extra fishing time the other day and they would have just watched it in the house otherwise. A Kindle Fire HD seats nicely in one of the side mesh pockets. You just slide the top cover in and fold it over with the screen out. It's just like I'm in an Ice Castle or Yetti. smile

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have just been using a 4x3 rubber floor mat.

Just purchased the interlocking tiles from HD and think these will work perfectly, they have different sizes and types, foam, rubber with carpet and just plain rubber.

Sounds good. Any pics with it set up? I'm trying to get some ideas in my head. Thanks!

So I have a rod bag that I keep my rods and alot of my tackle and random stuff in and am wondering what to do with it when out fishing (havent used the house yet). I dont want to just lay it on the ice and get all wet. In my flip over I would put it in the sled behind me. Any thoughts?

Clam makes a "hub shelter coat hook" that you can stick into the upper corner of your hub. I bought these for my rod bag, coat, and various other reasons. They work really nice and they can be stored in those mesh pockets.

You can get them for around 4-5 bucks. Of course you could probably make something but it was a simple solution for just 5 bucks.

Anyone have any suggestions between the round or square Clam folding tables? I see the round one is a little taller, wider, and costs a few more bucks, but the square one has a nice hanging mesh below it. Looking to order one from GM, but thought I gather any first hand advice. Thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions between the round or square Clam folding tables? I see the round one is a little taller, wider, and costs a few more bucks, but the square one has a nice hanging mesh below it. Looking to order one from GM, but thought I gather any first hand advice. Thanks.

I have the round table. It's a solid little table. If you play with the square one you will find that there is more sag in its table surface than the round.

Alright, I need something cleared up, hope someone can help. Is the Bigfoot XL 4000T supposed to have the ceiling mesh pockets or not? I know there has been discussion here about some having and some not. I know that the units from our local Cabelas do not have the ceiling pockets, just the wall pockets. I'm really confused as to why some would have and some wouldn't........the sales rep at Cabelas wasn't sure either. Is there anyone out there who can confirm that there unit indeed has the ceiling pockets? I was planning to pick up one of these shacks soon, but I have an older one I could use for the rest of this year and maybe wait until next years model comes out and they have fixed some of these issues (zipper pulls, etc). Thanks for any help/feedback I can get back!

I guess I cannot tell you for certain if they are supposed to or why some do and some dont.

But I am positive that mine has both smaller wall pockets and long ceiling pockets. grin

The ceiling pockets are very handy and if you are planning on buying one, I would try to confirm that the pockets are there before buying.

Have used mine a few times, and have been impressed so far. I was out yesterday in the south metro in the rain-snow mess, and it performed well enough. I don't think they are designed for rain, though. Got some leakage at the seams between the upper wall/lower ceiling, but it was around the edges so it wasn't too big of a problem. I did have the ceiling buckle under the weight of the wet snow, but it popped right back up and a few taps on the inside of all 4 "triangles" of the ceiling cleared it right up. Set up is easy enough, but tear-down and stuffing it into the duffle is a bit of a challenge by myself. It's getting easier, though. I don't regret the purchase at all (yet).

Don't know what to say about the ceiling pockets, hopefully they will figure out who is selling the ones missing them and have an offer ready to go for you.

The more I use mine the more I like it. It takes just as long to set up as my Clam Denali II did, is 1/2 the weight, cost less than what I sold the old one for, 2X the room inside, and is much more flexible in use. I've done a couple overnights now and it's been awesome. For stationary fishing, nothing beats it.

I don't think they are designed for rain, though. Got some leakage at the seams between the upper wall/lower ceiling, but it was around the edges so it wasn't too big of a problem.

I think any portable would leak a little in the rain. I finally got to test mine out yesterday. Worked very well. There was no wind so I didnt anchor it but brought the drill with just incase after I tested the anchors out at home in some ice. Love all the room and quick setup. Only thing I am not crazy about is the anchors and also the doors are rather small for someone who is 6'1" and 270 lbs. Maybe that last part is more my fault though....

I'm glad I didn't have mesh pockets on mine. They sent me two hanging fish trap organizers that I have all set with my gear and then simply hang up in the corners of the shelter. Makes it convenient. I can hang coats and extra gear from the hooks on the organizers. Call Clam and they will make it right.

Oh yeah, I tried using a 1/4" bit to drill a pilot hole for the anchors. That has worked the best so far. I'm happy I didn't buy that drill attachment. I tried that thing and if your anchor is bent even a little it doesn't work well. This was much easier.

Good to know. Wish I would have done that. I bought the cheaper HT drill attachment so not as big a loss but you still need to do a fair amount of hand tightening after you drill it a good ways in. Also, I'd add to the mesh ceiling "debacle" (lol), that I never saw a mesh ceiling net advertised either on the Clam site or on the box the shelter came in. In fact, I found out that it existed on these forums. So I can't really get too worked up about it, especially if they are willing to fix the problem with what I feel is a better solution. And no, I don't work for Clam, nor have I ever received any type of free ice fishing gear - other than the storage organizers they sent me!!! - just impressed all around with the shelter and service.

...just impressed all around with the shelter and service.

I would be even more impressed if Clam would set the record straight. Ie, earlier versions of the Bigfoot 4000 had mesh ceiling pockets, but the current version does not. Or, due to a production flaw, some houses have been shipped without ceiling pockets. Please contact Clam if you purchased one of these houses and an alternative storage bag will be shipped to you at no charge.

Customer confusion is not good customer service.

I emailed Clam that I was missing the ceiling mesh storage and that I snapped off 5 or 6 of the door tags. A few days later I received an email from Clam saying that they will send out the two storage compartments plus some replacement tags. Well in no time I receive the storage compartments and some wonderful new redesigned tags which uses a key ring and a rope loop. Much much better then those brittle tags. I'm a very happy customer.

I got the replacement organizers, which i do like, but due to the odd shape of the hub (bubble), I wish i had the ceiling mesh. if you hang a coat off these organizers, you cut off a large chunk of your fishing area. I still don't have a practical way to stash stuff off the wet ice. I think I'll stare into a beer can or nine this weekend and see what I can come up with...