• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam XL 4000T Hub house

DTro

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. Mine doesnt have one either. I thought about this and forgot about it. I am going to call them tomorrow. I also need four new zipper pulls (they have all snapped in half on the doors) and a new tie down inside for one of the anchors (gromet popped off). But other than that, it is a great shelter. I really like it. My wife got me the foam flooring as one of my Xmas gifts and I have 4x8 foam in the middle and then two holes on each side when the family comes fishing. For tip-ups, I just leave the door on each side unzipped a tad and peek out without having to get up. I've been running the portable buddy on low and it sometimes gets too hot. No condensation issues either. If there is any moisture from rain or snow, I just set it up in the garage to air out a bit.

Update: Talked to Clam this morning and they are sending netting along with new zipper poles and grommet strap. First class service. Also, they said that this year's models have the netting installed while last year's didn't. That's what they said at least. So perhaps the initial models didnt come with them.

Yeah, will be interesting to see what the fix is. I know I had a lot of minor gremlins with mine and perhaps it is last year's model (thought they were new this year, though) but I couldn't be happier with it. It pops up easy, comes down easy, and packs up easy. Stays plenty warm and no condensation (other than the windows). Plenty big and roomy for the whole family and it fits inside the new Otter Pro Medium sled I bought (diagonally across top of all other gear).

My buddy just bought a bunch of key ring rings and put those on all the zipper pulls as preventitive measures due to his old clam Bigfoot zipper pulls breaking. A few bucks well spent ... And the bigger rings are large enough to put a gloved finger through.

Fished out of it again tonight, I may have to buy one. Nothing like fishing on a frozen lake in a light jacket and sweating your tail off smile

Update: Got the package from Clam last night and found on the doorstep this morning. They sent me two Fish Trap hanging pocket organizers. Not sure if this is the solution others have received. I am going to call Clam today to see if this is what they had intended. If so, I don’t mind, I guess. They seem really nice. It will just be a matter of seeing if I can attach them conveniently in the hub itself.

Update: Got the package from Clam last night and found on the doorstep this morning. They sent me two Fish Trap hanging pocket organizers. Not sure if this is the solution others have received. I am going to call Clam today to see if this is what they had intended. If so, I don’t mind, I guess. They seem really nice. It will just be a matter of seeing if I can attach them conveniently in the hub itself.

I'm not so sure this will work in a hub house. If what you got is what I think it is they are meant to be hung on the horizontal metal poles on a fish trap. There would be no way to hang them on a hub.

Because the mesh is sewn in, I'm guessing the only real option they have is substituting these storage packs.

They retail anywhere from $25-35 each depending on if it is the small or large version. They work well.

If the mesh pockets are a deal breaker, maybe you could exchange it at the retailer?

I honestly don't know why some have them and some don't but if you just bought the thing and its still last years version, I would do a little research and see if it truly is an older version. I don't know if they even made the Bigfoot last year, but I know Clam beefed up the Hubs and Poles and a few other improvements on their hub houses. Myself personally, I would want those improvements.

Because the mesh is sewn in, I'm guessing the only real option they have is substituting these storage packs.

I disagree. They also have the option to replace the entire shelter at no cost to the customer.

This whole things sounds like a production error to me. Hub poles aren't very useful for hanging things from and given the open floor, places to put things other than the ice are a premium. I would not be without the mesh pockets.

However, the product description on Clam's HSOforum does not indicate that there are any mesh pockets.

Quick Overview

Model: 9130

Full thermal skin (retains heat & reduces condensation)

Super-duty, flex tested poles (11mm)

Oversized skirt for ample snow banking

Oversized carry bag for easy re-packing

4 Ice anchors and tie downs to secure in windy conditions

Setup Size: 96” x 96”

Center Height: 82”

Weight: 42 Lbs

Fishable Area: (64 sq. ft.)

Fishes 4-6 Anglers comfortably

30% more interior space versus competitive model

Triple layer corner pockets

Lab testet hub assemblies - largest in the industry

Yeah, I've got the four mesh pockets all around, just nothing in the ceiling. I just called them and they said it must be a production error. They said the storage pockets will hang very nicely from the hub poles in different configurations. So I am going to try that and see if it works. I can understand returning it if you were truly concerned but it these work, than that's cool with me since the rest of the shelter works really nice. And she assured me this is the first year these are on the market and everything else is top notch as stated - hubs, poles, etc.

Quote:

I disagree. They also have the option to replace the entire shelter at no cost to the customer.

Of course that is always an option, I agree with you, but those that have discovered this issue need to ask themselves if they want to go through the trouble of doing that or not. Especially if there is a suitable substitute. That will be up to each individual I guess.

Those storage organizers are pretty nice and they have coat hangers built in. Not only that, but they can be taken with you if you use a buddies shelter sometimes or buy a new one in the future.

That's exactly why I'll be keeping them I think. School was cancelled today and so we went ice fishing this afternoon. Forgot to bring along but headed out in an hour or so and will try them then. They are very nice and its a good substitute, maybe even better. Just a matter of if they hang right.

Worked out fine. I just made a quick run out tonight and fished for an hour and a half. Small pike and not much else and quite soupy. But the gale force winds were setting in so I packed er up. Anyway, here's the pic. I put them in the corners. They gave me two small organizers and I'm very happy with that solution.

full-25796-28771-HSOList.jpg

Just picked one up yesterday at GM (299.99 + tax) and set it up inside to get a feel for it before this coming weekend. The bag is nice, and from what I have heard about the zipper pulls I may just replace all of them with some para-cord where it is nice and warm, instead of waiting for them to break on the ice. Mine has the 2) mesh pockets on the ceiling in addition to the 4) on the sidewalls, so nothing wrong there. Sets up easy, and is very roomy, as I am shifting to more of a "family" type house instead of a runner and gunner (still have my Frabill Recon for that!). I have a couple of kids that are going to be involved in this in the near future, so I am selling my Otter Cabin to accomodate them. I really like the feel of the house when inside it and look forward to getting it on the ice this weekend. I have also enjoyed reading the reviews and on-going conversation hear about it.

One thing: I did notice that one of the ceiling poles "warps" more than the others, so I looked at the velcro ties for the ceiling poles. I think one of the velcro ties was sewn at the wrong location, as when I undid that one, the pole moved to a more correct location and looks more like the rest of the poles. It might not even be that big of a deal as the tent is pulled tight and the poles seem to naturally go to where they are supposed to, and it is only one of the many velcro ties in the house (all of the rest seem correct). I am contemplating if it is worth doing an exchange to GM, calling Clam directly about it, or just leaving it un-done and living with it. Thoughts?

So I had the problems with the zipper pulls and not having the mesh storage on the ceiling, clam emailed me back today and are going to send some zipper pulls (not sure what kind)we will see what they are. I may just make my own. The also stated they were sending portable oragnizing storage nets. We will see if they will work for hooking up in the hub shelter. If it won't I still have about a week to return, hope it gets here soon, as I could just return to store instead of having to mail to Clam.

Was definitely pleased with the customer service.

i have just been using a 4x3 rubber floor mat.

Just purchased the interlocking tiles from HD and think these will work perfectly, they have different sizes and types, foam, rubber with carpet and just plain rubber.