• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just curious... Vex vs. Bird vs. Marcum

Mick Jigger

Kinda funny. This last weekend at the NAIFC Championship on Mille Lacs I know a lot of sponsored Marcum and Bird guys that went and got their backup Vexilar so they can read their electronics through the weeds. Vexilar hasn't come up with something new, because the new technology still can not beat Vexilar proven technology. What's really funny is that these guys have a Vexilar for backup when they can have all the others units they want. This new technology is only a marketing scheme to get you guys to make the switch.

Do the newer models have trouble reading through the weeds? I'm using an LX5 and never have issues in any weeds that are still standing.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being redundant I didn't see an answer for my question here, I have an older Lowrance 522c, it has a flasher built in it, how do those compare to the other flashers?
You have a tremendous advantage over any of the units being discussed here in that you have a GPS.

Having said that, rather than using the "flasher" mode on the 522, try running just the traditional sonar view like you would in the summer. I think you will find this more useful and actually learn more about how the fish react to your presentation because you have the history on the screen.

That unit will be very serviceable for you though the 522 has had a history of GPS lock issues, but once stationary no big deal because you are just sitting there anyway.

I will be using my HDS 5 alongside my LX3tc all winter and excited to compare them.

Kinda funny. This last weekend at the NAIFC Championship on Mille Lacs I know a lot of sponsored Marcum and Bird guys that went and got their backup Vexilar so they can read their electronics through the weeds. Vexilar hasn't come up with something new, because the new technology still can not beat Vexilar proven technology. What's really funny is that these guys have a Vexilar for backup when they can have all the others units they want. This new technology is only a marketing scheme to get you guys to make the switch.

So you still have the old tube console TV or a newer digital flat screen? I think that was a "marketing scheme" too! I think I'll dig out my old Lowrance green box since "new technology" is no good. We'll see how long before Vex goes digital.....only makes sense. Remember...Marcum has perfected the old spinning technology as well...they are all good but.......

Thanks for the info, very helpful, I would rather save the $ for a new boat cover.

I'm pretty new to ice fishing technologies, please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the flasher was better for it ince you can see your bait in the screen and see the fish approach it.

Thanks for the info, very helpful, I would rather save the $ for a new boat cover.

I'm pretty new to ice fishing technologies, please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the flasher was better for it ince you can see your bait in the screen and see the fish approach it.

Trust me, you will see your bait and the fish approach it.

It will take a little to get used to because once you have the adjustments right your bait will be a solid line across the screen. Any jigging motion of your rod will show up on the screen, this is tremendously helpful IMO.

You will then see fish appear as a solid line and you can watch them react to what you do.

This is all instantaneous on a flasher dial. Always have to have your eyes on it.

How many times to you glance out the window and wonder what you missed when you werent looking? On the graph mode you can see if something swam in to look at your bait while your eyes were gazing elsewhere.

u can drive urself wacko with this

i just went to store and asked for best deal under $500 and at the time store said HB 597 hands down. i have not been dissappointed.

best thing to do is list your criteria: budget, specs, etc. then narrow down to 1 from each brand, weigh the pros & cons & pull the trigger with what u r most comfortable with. .....or borrow a few from friends & see what you like

u can ask this question forever but the longer u wait, the more the options change in the world of technology.

Wow this topic should just stay at the top so we don't need to revisit it over and over again.

They all work great if you know how to use them. My best advise would be to buy the that is priced best for you and learn would to use it. A camera will show you alot when ran next to your flasher.

Hey, I was up there fishing and saw alot of you guys fishing that tournament. It was a moving city of ATV's and pop ups! Interesting to hear about the backup Vex because it looked liked everybody was fishing the weeds in 6ft or less :-D

Iran Vex's for year, and other brands before that, was a loyal beliver untill a frind sat with me one day with a new on the market LX-5, been a happy Marcum owner since that day... If for somereason I couldnt use my Marcums a HB would be my 2nd choice and a Vex if it was the only thing I could get...

I own a humminbird portable unit and not even one of their "ice fishing" models, but bought an ice fishing transducer. I actually like using the ice 'ducer in my canoe, shoots right through the plastic, nothing needed to be hanging in the water, no suction cup that might fall off.

Ha! This sure is entertaining. smile

Like I've said before, I think its really unfair to compare the new digital marcums to ANY mechanical flasher. Its apples and oranges.

Vexilar is a staple in the fishing industry and over the years more fish have been caught on an FL8 than all the rest combined. I'm confident in that. It is what a 30-30 is to hunting.

In fact I bet out on the ice in shanty town, 8 out of the 10 people refer to whatever brand unit they are using as "a Vex". smile

I've used a lot of flashers and have enjoyed every one of them. I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them and the comparison of one flasher to the next is blown out of the water in comparison to having a flasher and not one at all.

At any rate, set a budget, list your wants and needs and compare everything in that price range. If you have 1200 bucks burning a hole in your pocket pull the trigger on the 9. Chances are you probably spent the same amount on other new technologies such as Blue Ray Players and 3D TV's as well. What's the price of those things lately? I like that people will purchase stuff at such a high price, it helps bring the price down of everything else and keeps evolution moving along. If people weren't willing to spend the money, we wouldn't see new stuff come along like underwater cameras, and side imaging.

Competition is wonderful for all of us

Thanks, guys! I knew what to expect when I posted this and appreciate everyone who posted their opinions. I run an FL20 and like it just fine, but am always curious to hear about users experiences with the other brands.

Enjoy your Marcum, Bird or Vex and have a great season on the ice. Now... Clam, Frabill, Otter, CanvasCraft or Eskimo :-)

I decided to stay away from the lx6 & lx7 not because of the extra cost but because of the extra size and weight. I prefer a marcum lx5 or FL18/20 on a genz box simply because 80% of my fishing is sitting on a bucket or in a portable.

vex owner for years... and now i just purchased the LX7 first impression.... love it... little bigger than the vex ultra packs, but not enough to deter me.

I dont really see the benefit for the lx6 unless a person is looking to save $. the 7s are hard to come by though...stopped at two places and the first was sold out the second had 1 left. each place had stacks and stacks of the lx 6.

let me get through this ice season and oh say 5 more and i will tell you my real thoughts on the lx7. (if its as durable as my previous vexilars... then it will be worth it.)

The best part of buying a marcum is I hear they come with a lifetime supply of kool aide. It's kind of funny how hurt people get if you don't have their same opinion. They will all help you catch fish and I agree with the earlier post about the technology being a marketing gimmick. I have caught so many fish through the ice with an fl-8 it's not even funny. Got the other two as gifts over the years from the inlaws and figured what the heck. The one thing I have learned is any outdoor company whether is decoys, calls, flashers, or the like succeed by praying on the notion you have to have their product in order to succeed.

The best part of buying a marcum is I hear they come with a lifetime supply of kool aide. It's kind of funny how hurt people get if you don't have their same opinion.
I guess I missed out on the kool aid. Who should I call to complain?

Owned an FL8 and to compare that to ANY of the marcums, let alone Birds, I would like some of YOUR Kool Aid.

But you are right, any one of them will help you catch fish and certainly better than nothing at all, but you dont have to clouded to see where technology and features are lacking in comparison to the cost you pay for them.

marcum and bird on top of the line now in my book with the features like the zoom that u can have where ever you want unlike the vex im used vex and never have liked them i've never owned one and never will i own a marcum and wont own any other brand might get a bird tho that just my thoughts vex hasen't made to many new features similar to bird or marcum.