• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The difference is in the details with plastics...

Dark Cloud

I fish alot of plastics for panfish through the ice and one thing I have learned over the years is, details matter...

Jig choice, how you hook the bait, knot placement - they are all crucial to how the bait reacts and in-turn how the fish react.

Jigs - verticle vs horizontal? Every day is different and past experience, confidence, and the fish will tell you what to use. I probably equally use both, most guys seem to prefer jigs that hang horizontally. They each impart diff actions to plastics and also represent diff types of food. Most of the time on a horizontal jig you want your bait rigged in-line with the jig. And with a verticle hanging jig you want the plastic hanging 90 degrees to the jig. Knot placement also come into play. Sliding your knot to different places on the jig eye changes how baits swim, jiggle, and fish. Typically with any bait your going to want the line comming straight up off the eyes. At times moving the knot towards or away from the hook point really makes a big difference.

As you can see there are many factors that come into play. There are a few ways to find out whats happening below - underwater cameras, looking down the hole/sight fishing, or the "pickle jar" are options...

full-1130-27777-008.jpg

I spend quite a bit of time jigging in the jar. You can really fine tune rigging and see how baits react to your jigging motion. Knowing what your bait is doing depending on what your rod tip is doing will tell you how and why the fish are reacting the way they are... Sure things change depending on depth and wind, but not that much.

The pickle jar is a good way to kill time and an effective learning tool. grin