• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Team wild Lodge issues..need help

darkwater

Hello guys

I just bought an Otter team wild lodge, the black camo version with sled. My problem is that the unit was set up exactly to spec but the spreader poles are very hard to install. It takes alot of force to get them all in as the skin seems so tight. My wife can't put them in place its so tight. I'm wondering if possibly the skin is out of spec?? Seeing its probably made by some guy in China or is this the way it should be and the skin will stretch in time?

I suppose I could cut about 1/4" off the spreader poles and it would be fine but after the $650 price tag I feel this shouldn't have to be done.

Any advice??

I'd set it up in the garage or something with the spreader poles in for a day or something to see if it stretches before you cut anything.

Stretch twice, cut once. smile

I had the same thing with mine last year I set it up in the garage with the poles in it the skin seemed to strech out and things worked fine after that.

Sifty

I found the same problem with my Wild Thermo Top Cabin.I set it up for a couple days to stetch it out but that did not help.Ended up pulling out the plastic clips and cutting each pole to fit starting from the back.That fixed it.The poles should have been the right length to begin with.Also did not like all the gaps at the bottom of the top where it clips on the sled,ended up filling in the spaces and screwing the plastic to the sled.

You might as well just cut them off. I had the same problem on the lodge I bought a couple years ago. I called Otter with no help what so ever. All they did was keep passing the buck until it was finally passed to the janitor, I think. Mine was so bad that I couldn't zip the door shut. You're right about one thing, you pay that kind of money, you should get some help. Not just be blown off. I paid over 700.00 for mine and was real disappointed. Learned my lesson. It's like buying a Harley, you just pay for the name.

I have my receipt and can return it if need be. I will try the suggestions here of streching in the garage for a few days. I really like the house, love the big bench that flip up and the sled. Camo is pretty cool too. I think just cutting the poles would solve the issues.

I did a bit of reading on Otter customer service and the consensus seems to be an "F" Most guys aren't happy dealing with them. You can't win..lol seems like all these shantys are build crappy.

Cheers!!

Well quick update here boys..:) Pulled the shanty off the truck after posting here and things must have either stretched out or I miss placed the spreader poles yesterday a.m cause it set up with ease.. Made my day !!!

Cheers!!

Yes the spreader poles will be tight the 1st few times you use the house. Once things loosen up they will be fine. Every Otter I have owned was like this. Id rather have them tight than sloppy. Im glad you figured it all out.

The new Thermals have been a lil tighter than the other skins but I wouldnt give up my thermals.