• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Holding bucket for my flip over

Whateverzbitin

Yea baby. No more tangled rods for me. Picked up a 5 gallon pail from Menards. Cut an ice hole insulator to size and placed in bottom. Then added 6 peices of 1 1/4 inch pvc pipe and permanantly affixed to bottom of bucket. Now my rods all sit up straight and will not tangle. I can place it behind my seat in my shack and just reach over for a different rod.

full-39685-27351-28023_3986406500804_409

The PVC peice are short. Just enough to drop the handle into. I think you would have flexibility there. Mine must be in the 3-4 inch range. They are attached by zip tie. The outside ones are fastest. Just drill a couple coles and wrap a zip around. The middle one is zipped on too, but the long way down through the bottom of the bucket if you can picture that.

I've done this before in the past and what I can tell you is that if you load up as many rods as I see in your pic, you are still gonna have a tangled mess with all the handles getting caught up and stuff. You go to lift one rod up and end up with three especially if you are in a rush to get that other rod down.

Just saying...

I use a JR tackle soft sided bag. With the rod slicks, I don't get tangled. But they take several seconds more to get out of the bag than your solution. It offers better rod tip protection at the cost of those several-seconds when I need to get a new rod. However, I will usually pull the 2-3 rods I plan to use out of the bag right when I'm sitting down to fish (after having set up the shack, heater, sonars, etc), so that I don't need to dig as much on the fly if I'm in a hurry to get another jig down on a hot bite.

I think one of those hard cases with the rods laying sideways is possibly the best way to go because it's actually just as 'untagled' but also protects against rod tip breakage.

Some guys use gun or bow cases, since they tend to be cheaper than something marketed directly to ice anglers.

Wow, guess it;s a stinker huh? There will not be that many in there when in use. I just have them all in their now cause I was playing with it. Besides there will always be at least two rods in use, so that is two less right there. I am not too concerned about the rod tip thing right now. I will just have to try it and see.

Wow, guess it;s a stinker huh? There will not be that many in there when in use. I just have them all in their now cause I was playing with it. Besides there will always be at least two rods in use, so that is two less right there. I am not too concerned about the rod tip thing right now. I will just have to try it and see.
I think it's going to work fine! If you pull your sled with a wheeler or snowmobile they could still pop up out of the pipes at speed with all the bumps. Most tangles are going to come from hooks of jigs that come loose and start flying around snagging the other lines. I would suggest small peices of valcor to wrap around each line by the hook on each rod so when your moving they don't come loose and fly around! wink

The foam does not have a huge purpose. What it does do is, keep the center PVC nice and snug. It is zip tied, but will slide a bit without the foam. I also like how it looks. Gives it a nice fit and finish. I don't pull behind a wheeler. Mostly I fish smaller lakes and drive out and unload. When I move. my buddy and I will just toss it back in the truck and go. The velcro at the top is a good idea. Adds to the fit and finish as well.