• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Revere Traded!

pikestabber

All right, calming down... Sounds like we got another middle of the rotation guy and a prospect with some upside. Looks like the official (and admitted) rebuilding is under way. We are stocking up on young arms.

I loved Revere's speed, passion, and energy. No, he can't throw, no, he can't hit for power, but man he sure could squeeze out singles from ground outs smile He was a high energy guy that was just fun to watch last year. Ah, well, he is just the next chip to fall. I see Willingham going soon and perhaps an "M."

This is a very good move. We got a middle of the rotation guy and the phillies #2 prospect. I wouldn't have guessed we would get more for revere than span, but it appears we have done just that. I love the move. We have plenty of depth at center. Mastrioanni, Benson, and Hicks. Aaron Hicks has been a top 5 prospect of ours for a couple years. He should be ready soon...

Masteroni, Hicks and Benson for depth, oh well 3 years in the toilet of the American League maybe is better than losing game 163. I definitely need a new program/roster so in the musky boat this summer I'll get to learn some of these guys. I think every guy we have is available for the right deal, and we wanted a solid lead off hitter for years so this makes not a lot of sense but time always tells.

I like this deal too. Yes, Revere was a lot of fun to watch and certainly was a good lead off guy, but to get two (hopefully) decent quality pitchers for him? A no brainer to me.

It looks as if they are planning for 2014 though. However, I believe the payroll for this year is around 70-75 million right now. Plenty of money to be spent if they hold true to the 100 million range. Still need starting pitching for this coming year. I wonder how Kyle Gibson will look this spring. Speaking of Tommy John surgery...why don't they just cut the 2 new young kids open and get it over with grin Maybe we will contend in 2015... shocked

I don't think so Hicks was added to the 40 man roster in Novemeber. He had a heck of year as well.

The Twins 2008 first round pick out high school in California, put together a terrific 2012 campaign at AA New Britain. He filled the stat sheet quite well. Overall, he hit .286/.384/.460 with 21 doubles, 11 triples, 13 home runs, 61 RBI, 100 runs scored and 32 stolen bases.

This kid has and absolute cannon for an arm. He was clocked in the upper 90's before he was drafted. His defense is awesome and his offense has way more upside than revere.

We also drafted Byron Buxton this year...

How many prospects could the Twins get for Mauer and Morneau? Might as well do a Hershel Walker trade and maybe be good again in 3-5 years.

Can't get anything for Mauer unless he waives his no trade clause. And if he's willing to how many teams out there would Mauer approve a trade to, and out of those teams how many can take on his contract? Its got to be a small list and of that small list how many can actually come up with reasonable compensation? Given all of those limitations his trade value has got to be pretty low.

Morneau would have some good value if people weren't so worried about his brain being turned into mash potatoes the next time he slides into 2nd base.

Like it or not I think we are stuck with the two of them at least for this year. Maybe one more year removed from concussion issues will give Morneau a higher value but he needs to prove he can play again first.

Morneau had a decent finsish to the season and there is not alot out there for free agent first basemen right now. I would love to see him moved either now or at the trade deadline. I am guessing we will get alot more at the deadline if he has a good first half of the season. It is a contract year for him so that could very well happen.

I read today that Boston would take Mauer and all of his contract. The problem is we wouldn't get carp back (besides 23 mil a year) and the fan base would go crazy. I won't happen.

I like today's trade. Revere has a lot of speed but he's very replaceable and sounds like the one pitcher picked up is about as good as any we had last year and the minor leaguer has potential.

I do wonder though if ben is going to like being on another team. management in philly might not be as lenient with him laughing and joking around in the dugout during 7 - 1 losses like he got by with over here.

Both Span and Revere are slappies(womens softball players at the plate)...we've got enough of them on our team already(see Mauer). No harm done getting rid of them both...I like the young arms they are bringing in.

Revere was a favorite of mine to watch but he simply is/was not a difference maker.

The Twins now need MORE guys who can hit the ball thru a gap or over the fence. Singles hitters and poor pitching get you a 90 loss season in a hurry.

I've seen enough of that.

I thought we had been searching for a prototype leadoff guy but I agree pitching wins but man 24 year old forget gap hitting and jacks he turned singles into doubles and bunts into triples took away doubles and triples, think how bad it would've got without his D in certain games he saved pitches and pitchers from badness, however pitching wins and if Billy Smith made these moves I'd be really wondering but Terry Ryan I trust.

I'm happy with both of the trades. We need young pitching. Outfielders need to hit home runs, drive in runs and throw runners out - not just make great catches. Both Revere and Span were good guys who were fun to cheer for but they're not going to win with them. Hopefully they open up the checkbook and sign a few players too. Sounds like Morneau might be next - I wouldn't drop a tear if we got something good in return for him either.

Homers, RBI's, and gun guys out ? American league correct ? Because Angel Pagan, Hunter Pence and Gregor Blanco didn't do much of that and they're fitting them for world series rings today. I agree but I see a very spacious centerfield at Target Field and often in the post-season it aint jacks,rbi's, and gunning guys down it is the slap hitting nuisance a lot of times by unknowns that reek havoc in the post-season, but our pitching was so icky, hey what is Carl Pavano's status ?

True enough, thinking I was saying Ben Revere has a huge circle around him of the ground he can cover and like Kubel had a small circle, Revere easily overlaps the circles to his right and left whoever is out there with him. I just thought Revere fit us well mainly because he isn't going to be an MVP or demand high dollar someday. Chone Figgins in Seattle proved leaving Anaheim don't give a speedster a lot of coin. Anyway we must have arms on the mound first and foremost, but I'll miss Ben Revere, major league sparkplugs are few and far between.

Revere's ceiling is something along the lines of Juan Pierre. A nice player - I really enjoyed watching him - but not a core player. If the Twins get two legit starting rotation guys our of the deal, it would be an incredible steal.

It's worth noting that Revere did three things well: covered ground in the OF, put the ball in play, and stole bases.

On the downside, he had zero power (not just HR power, but even gap power), he has among the weakest arms in all of baseball (his 8 assists were a function of the fact that EVERYBODY ran on him), he doesn't walk much (which will hamper his ability to keep his average up) and he is unlikely to improve much beyond what he did in 2012.

There is risk in the trade, as they're giving up a known quantity for a prospect and a big leaguer coming off an elbow injury. But given the Twins' rebuilding state and the fact that starting pitching was far and away the biggest need, I like the move.

Mastroianni can man CF for a few months til Hicks is ready, and it will work out fine.