• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Straightline Reel To Go With?

Lane

Alright, I have decided that I am going to purchase a straightline reel and jump on the band-wagon. Now the question is which one. The 13-Fishing 6061 is too expensive and I have heard really negative reviews about the frabil setup. I am intrigued by the "multiplier" or ratio reel, but I am not ruling out a fly-reel type.

So, what are you guys all going with this year? Eagle Claw, Okuma 2/3, Cabelas, Clam, Frabil, Black Betty?

I don't think there is a real disparity in quality between the cheaper straight line reels. That 6061 is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. If I had the money, I'd beeline for that no question. I picked up a frabill just because of the fact that I like the feel and sound of the drag better than the others I looked at. I haven't used it yet, unfortunately, but at $30 it's worth a try.

I've been using straightline reels for a few years now and besides the new 6061 the only reel you'll see on my rods is the SLV 2/3. I know you can find them for around $50 and for that price they'll blow any of the lower end multipliers out of the water as far as quality goes.

In my opinion the best quality reel has to be the okuma slv 2/3. This reel is light years ahead of the rest of the 1:1 ratio inline reels on the market today. The okuma has a very smooth feel to it and the drag system only applies drag when line is being pulled out. Unlike the blackbetty 1:1 reel which applies drag no matter which way you reel forward or back. Also the drag system on the okuma has a very satisfying click or ding when line is pulled out similar to a nice spinning reel.

The only down fall about the okuma is that it is a 1:1 ratio not a multiplier. But if you put some backing in it before you put your line on it will have a decent retrieve. And also the fact that you will have to pull out the line when returning to the bottom.

After looking at all of these reels you have listed here my opinion is that the okuma is the best out of all of them.

In my experience I had the black Betty 6061 reel on preorder for 3 weeks and I went to the ice show this past weekend and played with it a couple of times and canceled my order. The quality just wasn't there. I have the eagle claw reel and I can tell you the only thing that you get for paying an extra $70 for the 6061 is a smoother drag. Otherwise the spool is still losely connected to the crank handle and the breaking system still doesn't work like you would think it should

All in all I was gona get the 6061 and I'm gona get the okuma

If you are looking for a multiplying straight line reel I wish you good look. I haven't been impressed with any that are out there now.

My suggestion for a multiplying reel would be the eagle claw if you can find one. It's cheap and will get the job done. The drag sucks but just make sure you have good line.

I hope this helps you when purchasing a new reel good luck.

I'm on the Okuma boat too. As stated by others it's no question for me. I'm not saying anything bad about the others but after having all of them in my hands, I'm sticking with my Okuma SLV 2/3's. I use mine for panfish exclusively so maybe your use provides for the others but I don't fish more than 10-15 feet max so retrieval isn't a major issue. The Okuma's have me! I picked up two more at the show!

Esox, I think the 6061 will do what you're looking for. I use my slv reels normally no more than 15' below the surface. Last year I did not have a spinning reel on a noodle rod for trout opener and I used the slv for that(fishing near bottom in 30 fow). It was a blast with that combo but too far to bring fish up.

After playing with all of the new multiplier reels and owning all but the Eagle Claw I can say that the 6061 feels leaps and bounds above the rest. It has to be held similar to a spinning reel which will come naturally to most. I remember the first few times using an slv and that felt awkward at first but I grew to prefer it. I'm sure the 6061 will grow on me with use. The drag feels very smooth and the handle does not spin backward while the drag is engaged as some others do. The only thing I wish they had added was the clicker that the slv has but this reel is already heavy compared to the slv and I know keeping weight down was a priority. I will fully admit that I have no ice time with this reel as of yet however, I'm very confident I will end up being happy with it.

With these inline reels are there right and left hand models? Can you just turn the reel 180 degrees and mount it?(Drag would be backwards?) Neither the Eagle Claw or 6061 seem to have a left/right conversion. All you darn lefties! wink

I kind of have my reservations about using a traditional fly reel due to the lack of space between the reel and rod. (I've heard this referenced as the foot?) I'm sure I could adjust to not having that gap but having it seems to be more user friendly for my style.

My frabil straightline 101 can be taken apart for the handle to be switched asmoley. I haven't used it yet so I cant tell you if It's good but it can be switched.

This is my first year with a fly reel. The okumas SLV was super nice but didn't want to invest in it if I decide I don't like fly reels.

being I bought it for 20' of water or less I ruled out trying to get a multiplier reel. I feel a tungsten jig will get me down to the fish fast enough for me.

I personally didn't like the longer handles on the black betty. So I had a rod built with a fly reel handle to put my frabill on.

That is how I decided on what to purchase. I know it's not for everyone and is my opinion. But that's my .02cents

The spacing on foot really has me deterred from the traditional fly reels like the SLV. I fish outside the shack with gloves alot and just don't see it cooperating.

Looked at a review of the EC and with some disassembling you can make it right had retrieve!

Free spooling isn't as important but a nice feature. (Thought the SLV had free spool listed on Okumas site?)

Seems like the EC is the best value for a reel of this style based on the price and features it has...

I would say that backlash is totally possible with the 6061. When you engage the freespool button the spool spins very freely if the tension is not adjusted. I don't think that I'll be cranking up the spool tension knob too much because that also puts resistance on the spool as your reeling back up. That may well change after I make a couple birds nests out of 2lb line. The 6061 is my first reel with freespool option so I'll just have to play with it when I get out.

I would say that backlash is totally possible with the 6061. When you engage the freespool button the spool spins very freely if the tension is not adjusted. I don't think that I'll be cranking up the spool tension knob too much because that also puts resistance on the spool as your reeling back up. That may well change after I make a couple birds nests out of 2lb line. The 6061 is my first reel with freespool option so I'll just have to play with it when I get out.

dfeste is correct here about the free spool. It requires precise knob adjustment relating to the weight of your lure. Swapping different lures with different weights may make this cumbersome. Too loose of a tension and you end up with a birds nest. Both the BB 6061 and the EC inline will do this.

Try to adjust it to where you have to give the line a tug or pull for it to start spooling, dont pull to hard or too fast, let weight of the lure help do the spooling and let it hit the ground. Do this over until you feel you go the right amount of tension for free spool pertaining to your lure weight.

Again these type of reels are for everyone. If your a spinning reel type guy trying to convert over you may find the intial feeling awkward or not likeable. It takes some getting use to but the rewards can be beneficial.

Guys with big hands and wearing gloves will cause the spool wheel to hit their hand when griping the handle. I suggest not wearing gloves, try holding it the traditional way like a spinning reel, or put it on a tennessee handle or 12" cork handle that can allow you to grip the upper part like a fly rod handle.

Plenty of room to "pencil grip" a standard fly reel. I usually have no gloves on or a thin pair though. I switch back and forth between a pencil grip and a hand on top type grp...

full-1130-27182-005.jpg

full-1130-27183-006.jpg

I was skeptical on how these grips would feel with the new long arm reel seats... so far so good with my standard BB. Havnt fished much with it but she feels great...

full-1130-27184-012.jpg

full-1130-27185-018.jpg

For those looking at a standard fly reel... i played with a bunch of diff brands the past 5 winters, hard to beat the SLVs... One thing to keep in mind is the size - I really prefer the 4/5 size on any rod over 24in. The 2/3s just dont feel right in my hand unless they are on a short 15-18 inch sight rod. And I have med sized paws. Plus the "line take up" on the slightly bigger reel is noticable cool

These things are far from a fad. I fish them up to amost 30 fow and hardly grabbed a standard spinning reel the past few seasons. But then again, they are not for everyone or every situation.

Options and choices are a good thing. grin

Again I have fished the EC several times and have found none of the possible problems people bring up. Take your time and adjust it for the jig and the fish you are catching. The drag has worked very well. When reeling in a fish and it takes line you feel it in the retrieve. Sure you will get line overrun when dropping if you set it too loose. Let it drop at a slow rate and it does nice. You can still always pull line like any flyreel. Your fishing for enjoyment not fish racing. Yes it has some offset weight to the reel handle side. But that is not an issue with me. Also spool it with the proper lighter line.