• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bringing bow while muzzleloading?

Is it legal to be muzzleloading and bring a bow with? The reason why I ask is because I am in a lottery area and can only shoot a buck with my muzzleloader. I also have and archery tag that I can shoot a buck or a doe. I have been out in wildlife the last few evenings and have had doe right in front of me. With my luck I will bring my bow and have a buck come by out of range. Either way I plan on bringing my bow out tomorrow and tagging a doe. (Hopefully)

You would think it would be legal with a license for bow and muzzy during the season overlap...especially in lottery zones where the bow license is an either sex tag. That way you could shoot a buck with either OR doe with bow.

If it is illegal, than its one of those laws that defies common sense.imo

Pg. 90, second bullet point on the archery deer regulations....

- Except those licensed to carry a concealed weapon, a person may not

take deer by archery while in possession of a firearm.

Again, even the exemption for a carry weapon is new last year. The rule has always been you are not allowed to possess a firearm while archery hunting.

Pg 17 explains the rule regarding "carrying a concealed weapon" under the permit to carry law.

Archers who wish to carry a firearm must have a carry permit. Elk, bear and moose hunters are not required to have a permit since there are no special archery tags for those hunts, but hunters still must abide by the law regarding concealed weapons if they are not in the act of hunting.

This is one of those laws that should be legal that isn't. Too many people sitting around dreaming up laws just for the sake of dreaming up laws. Its already illegal to tag a deer shot with a gun with an archery tag, carrying a gun shouldn't matter as long as you don't use it. Especially if anyone with a permit to carry can have one with.

It does make a certain amount of sense, especially now that you can call in your deer to register it...

Really hard to enforce, and unfortunately, the harder a law is to enforce the more likely it is to be broken.

It's a pretty stupid law in my opinion. I have a gun & a flashlight in my truck almost always & often I drive at night. Therefore I have all the tools to shine & poach deer, but I don't! What's the difference? Don't understand why having a ML & a bow at the same time is illegal. If you can't shoot a doe with your ML & you don't, how are you breaking the law?

Heck I think my spotlight's been on the floor in the back of one of my trucks for a year. I have yet to use it for anything, not really even sure why it's there. I guess I figured if I ever needed it for something it wasn't going to be of much use hanging in the garage...

I have matches with me sometimes too, that doesn't make me an arsonist in waiting...

If my brother hadn't been using his bow last weekend, I would have had that with me while i was muzzleload hunting with my daughter; and i would have taken a doe within the first 15 minutes of shooting light (With the bow) with that muzzy sitting next to me. But, i guess that would have been totally illegal. crazy

Really hard to enforce, and unfortunately, the harder a law is to enforce the more likely it is to be broken.

I've never thought that making laws and regulations easy to enforce was a justifiable argument to limit freedoms. I agree that it's hard to enforce.

The enforcement in fishing is equal to that of hunting. VERY MINIMAL. (No data to support)

No one has looked at your deer when registering for many years. (No data to support)

No one looks at your catch at the end of the day. (No data to support)

Every so often you run into a CO, they might check you. (No data to support)

But they will catch you if you plan to bring them minnows home with you wink (No data to support)

The enforcement in fishing is equal to that of hunting. VERY MINIMAL. (No data to support)

No one has looked at your deer when registering for many years. (No data to support)

No one looks at your catch at the end of the day. (No data to support)

Every so often you run into a CO, they might check you. (No data to support)

But they will catch you if you plan to bring them minnows home with you wink (No data to support)

+1