• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hanging pole ideas?

I need a new deer camp hanging pole next year. I am thinking of putting some 6x6's in the ground to make a sturdy frame for hanging using a pulley system of some kind to hoist the deer up. I am looking for some good ideas and photos too!

We hang ours from a big oak and every year as we all grab the ropes we start the same old conversation! We need to build a winch system!!!!!! cry But never do. One brain storm lead to large I-beams cemented into the ground with a large pipe with pullies and a power winch to lift and lower the whole pipe up and down. cool But it may not happen for a few weekends a year! frown Here are a few drawings I found of like things we have talked about.

full-27051-26130-skinningrack2.jpg

full-27051-26131-skinning20pole.jpg

I just use a 4:1 pulley system. Works great. Can put some hooks in your x beam and pull them up. The system with Gambrel is under $20. One person can operate this. I just use a screw in step for each system in a tree. Seems to work just fine.

Thanks for the pics and suggestions. We currently use an old old white pine with large branches. Been using it for 30+ years. It was hit by lightning years back and the top died. We cut to top off but still use it. This year, we had 5 deer on the same one branch and found it had a large crack in it. This forced the matter for next year.

We have also used a good sized tree for a x brace between two other trees. We nailed the x brace on both ends and also used rope to secure each end to the uprights. We put two deer on it fine, on the third deer, it cracked and almost killed two of our guys when the x brace tree came down. I won't do that again!

Tunrevir- I like your example. Do you have a pulley on each place where deer go or use one pulley to get the deer up and then hang it from an eye bolt?

We have a hanging pulley that we can switch to each spot along the post and mounted a hand crank boat winch with cable to haul the deer into place. We hang them with a loop of rope and when it comes time to load them for home we back the truck under them and switch the pulley to the deer and lower it right into the bed of the truck. Gotta be careful though that you don't lose the grip on the winch handle or your in for a real tommy knocker. I have used those ratchet strps to lower them down as well. Looks really nice when you get a few big bucks hanging all at once.

Tunrevir~

Sorry for bumping this old thread, I know I little late...but here is my two cents...

In my in-law's butcher room there is a hand winch.

The cable runs to the ceiling in the eye bolt, and then through the ceiling to another eyebolt. Then the cable goes to the box.

They use a cart instead of a pipe, so they can insert it into the passage.
I know that part of the cart is not what you want, but that’s what they do.

I think that your decision of a moving pulley and an additional chain on the gambler will work perfectly

In-laws use a winch a lot when they swing pigs.

I know that we are regular butchers, who make up 300 # plus live weight. And we push them out after we lift them with a winch on a boat

One word of advice - on the handle of the winch. The nut holding the handle is free (hand tight), so that when we finish we can turn the handle. Thus, he does not stick out and will catch some unsuspecting sole in the back

Here is the scene of a serious lift ... my buddy uses it.  I thought it might be interesting for some of you.

Dean08.jpg