• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Claw's inline ice reel! Are U into the fly ice reel craze yet?

fisherman-andy

Ha! Just googled it after you brought it up.....anything about this description/numbers look familiar smile

IKADA raft reel

CNC machined, cold forged 6061 aluminium frame and spool

Bicoloured anodic oxidation surface

Stainless steel components

Large arbor

With ultra-light design

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Just googled it after you brought it up.....anything about this description/numbers look familiar smile

IKADA raft reel

CNC machined, cold forged 6061 aluminium frame and spool

Bicoloured anodic oxidation surface

Stainless steel components

Large arbor

With ultra-light design

You can find these raft reels sold online auction sites etc. Typically made in China. Cost is generally $60-100. Raft reels are exactly what you are seeing here in the Eagle Claw inline reel or 13 Fishing 6061 Ice Ninja? And yes they been around for a while.

As far as the Eagle Claw inline reel goes, those looking for one shouldnt have to wait too long. Its currently being MASS PRODUCED. Should be arriving at all your local sporting goods stores soon.

Quote:
You can find these raft reels sold online auction sites etc. Typically made in China. Cost is generally $60-100. Raft reels are exactly what you are seeing here in the Eagle Claw inline reel or 13 Fishing 6061 Ice Ninja? And yes they been around for a while.

As far as the Eagle Claw inline reel goes, those looking for one shouldnt have to wait too long. Its currently being MASS PRODUCED. Should be arriving at all your local sporting goods stores soon.

The BB 6061 and the Eagle Claw aren't remotely the same reel. Both have the raft reel chassis, but that's where it ends.

One reel does NOT have an instant anti reverse, or a carbon drag, a sealed off main gear (check those holes on the Eagle Claw...oops), a line out alarm (not a bait clicker), etc.

One is a stock raft reel made for saltwater in Asia (where they don't use IAR, or drag), the other is a 6061-T6 chassis with guts and design built and tested specifically for the ice fishing market.

The BB 6061 and the Eagle Claw aren't remotely the same reel. Both have the raft reel chassis, but that's where it ends.

One reel does NOT have an instant anti reverse, or a carbon drag, a sealed off main gear (check those holes on the Eagle Claw...oops), a line out alarm (not a bait clicker), etc.

One is a stock raft reel made for saltwater in Asia (where they don't use IAR, or drag), the other is a 6061-T6 chassis with guts and design built and tested specifically for the ice fishing market.

Point is their both (Eagle Claw/13 Fishing) reels are still copies of the raft reel design.

However most would expect 13 Fishing's 6061 reel to be superior in build/materials and features considering the rumors & price tag. Your talking $100 reel vs $30 Eagle Claw one. However not everyone needs the fancy features. An old schooley reel will do the job just fine in most instances.

I'm just a catfisherman, but last time I checked, a bait clicker and line out alarm was the same thing. smile

Both of them are equally annoying, but usually a necessity when live bait fishing after the sun goes down. Will this feature really be used on an ice panfish rod?

Quote:
Point is their both (Eagle Claw/13 Fishing) reels are still copies of the raft reel design.

However most would expect 13 Fishing's 6061 reel to be superior in build/materials and features considering the rumors & price tag. Your talking $100 reel vs $30 Eagle Claw one. However not everyone needs the fancy features. An old schooley reel will do the job just fine in most instances.

That I can actually agree with (the schooley part). Sometimes all the hype and hoopla, I think we forget to actually fish.

However, I say kuddos to both for trying to bring something over from a different country/fishery. I'm sure there are tons of hidden gems in this world that could be tweaked for a different application.

Isn't that how most great products work (not just fishing)?

I'm just a catfisherman, but last time I checked, a bait clicker and line out alarm was the same thing.

Both of them are equally annoying, but usually a necessity when live bait fishing after the sun goes down. Will this feature really be used on an ice panfish rod?

Maybe I worded that wrong, I'm just a simple hunter who pretends to fish anyhow. wink

Meant the Eagle Claw only clicks on retrieve, not when the line is being pulled out. What kind of alarm with that be, a Line In Alarm? I have been known to reel without knowing it... whistle

I purchased 4 of these reels today direct from the company. I saw a similar post on a different ice fishing HSOforum and a number of people called the company, got the sales department and ordered directly. These were half price of what Gander sells them for. I got 4 of them for $65.00 shipped. The salesperson said they will not come in the box, hence the lesser price. I don't need the box! The salesperson said he received a number of calls today for this reel.

Bones

Maybe I worded that wrong, I'm just a simple hunter who pretends to fish anyhow. wink

Meant the Eagle Claw only clicks on retrieve, not when the line is being pulled out. What kind of alarm with that be, a Line In Alarm? I have been known to reel without knowing it... whistle

As stated in one of my earlier review post, when you turn on the noise clicks, it will click on both drag and retrieve. Its loud and annoying. I dont mind it too much if the clicks were quieter. But then again you can just turn off the clicks.

I picked up 2 of these yesterday. After taking one apart I found that they are mostly plastic and stamped metal parts.The drag is a joke,not very smooth and I think moisture will be a problem as the spool is full of holes and the gears are open. Most of the screws are self tapping and scerw right into the plastic. The reel body is moldled and I think it might break off at the reel foot if you dropped it.They are nice looking and low price,but you pay for what you get.Hope they work out for the people that buy them. I think I'll return mine.

Good Fishin

The clicker does work for more than just cranking. It also works when line is being pulled out, just not when the reel is in free spool. Also, I was able to easily convert the ones I bought to right-handed retrieve by switching the bearing around.

I think moisture will be a problem as the spool is full of holes and the gears are open.

Good Fishin

I'm not sure how many have removed the spool from their fly reel, but every one I've ever owned has had holes in the spool and open gears, too. It must not be a huge issue becasue I haven't heard too many horror stories from guys ice fishing with a fly reel about moisture in the gears.....

The clicker does work for more than just cranking. It also works when line is being pulled out, just not when the reel is in free spool. Also, I was able to easily convert the ones I bought to right-handed retrieve by switching the bearing around.

This is exactly my point, one is a line out/bait alarm, the other is a "clicker."

Thank you for making my point on why the Eagle Claw is no comparison to the 6061. If you can't free spool the reel and have the alarm, you just have an annoying clicker when it's in gear...that's all.

Turn the drag down and you can use it as a line out alarm. It's a star drag with an over-sized star and is really easy to adjust and the reel spins easily with the drag backed down. You're trying to compare a $30 reel to a $100 reel.

Better is better man...it's as simple as that.

new spokesman for 13 fishing. You keep going back to comparing a 30 reel to an 100+ reel. Yea I sure hope the 6061 would have better gears and not a plastic part on the thing for 100 bucks. Bet if I start comparing the eagle claw inline reel to my kids Mickey Mouse reel the eagle claw would be a no brainer.

grin

Sure better is better, and only a fool would argue that a $30 reel is better than a $100 reel (unless of course a different fool has put a $100 price tag on a $25 reel). I bet we can all find a $200 reel that is probably better than that $100 reel. smile Bottom line is that it comes down to value of your dollar. If that $30 reel performs decent and lasts 5 years that’s a pretty darn good deal at $6/year. That $100 reel needs to last about 17 years to equal that. The old saying about paying for what you get is generally a good practice though. For example, I feel I’ve got GREAT value out of my Abu 100’s I paid $20 bucks for that are now going on their 4 th year.

From the tone of the posts and considering the new membership status, I’m guessing SunnyFishin might possibly have horse in this race wink

The great thing about these discussions is we all have our own opinion and the long standing members here know one another and there is a history in which their helpful posts can be taken with a certain degree of trust. If someone who has been here and participated in discussions for the past 5-10 years with a good track record and says, “ah man this reel is junk” I’m most likely going to take his or her word and steer clear.

Unfortunately I can’t say the same about a brand new member. But that is just me.

Oh, and I’ll ask again, who is going to use any sort of clicker or bait alarm on a panfish rig?