• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Reports

eyeslayer20

Your observations are correct! Last year's harvest was the lowest it's been in the past 10-12 years. This year we're down 4% from that. Last year the DNR blamed it on the wind. This year conditions were near perfect and numbers are still down. They've already said increased lottery areas are to blame. Yada yada yada. There's a reason there's no roadkills and it's not because of the wind or changed areas!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hunting in 247 for 3-4 days a week for the last two weeks. Its been grim for daytime movement. I've seen two deer, a forkie and a 2.5 y.o. 8 pointer, in all that time sitting. There was snow on the ground Tues morning and good number of tracks in the snow. I think most of the movement has been at night. I know there is deer around. Another issue is that the acorn crop was bad in the woods I've been hunting. A lot of the private ground has food plots that I can't hunt near. I think most of the antlerless deer are probably around those plots and not in the woods by me. Been a frustrating year.

I saw 7 deer this morning. The first two were a doe and a small buck that came running through at 7 a.m. About 20 minutes later two does and two fawns come through. One of the does looks to have dark tarsal glands which is a good sign. They mill around for about 5 minutes and then wander off. Ten minutes after that a nice 6 point comes down the same trail, eating and smelling. He gave me a 10 yd shot but I couldn't take it because he didn't have a 4th point on one side. He headed the same way as the does, making a few quiet grunts as he walked.

I had high hopes after having had some live bait come through but I sat until ten and saw nothing else.

I have been seeing a lot of roadkill deer the last couple of weeks. I drive from Princeton to St.Cloud on 95. About 3 weeks ago the farmer were harvesting crops and one way to school there were 6 deer dead on my way home 22 deer dead. I have seen deer every night on my way home, but in the last 3 days there seems to be more deer out. Last night I saw a very nice buck in a picked bean field near someones deer stand that was empty.

Was out for the Crow-Hassan Park hunt today. Climbed into my stand at 5:30 AM and climbed down at 5:15 PM. Saw exactly zero deer. From my spot, I could see 9 scrapes and 5 rubs within a 30 yard radius, but other than that, the woods were completely dead. Was really hoping for at least a little activity...

I think the hardcore part of the rut is here! I pulled out of the driveway this am and turned the corner and had to slam on the breaks, there was a big 10 chasin a doe in the middle of the road he was just 3' behind her. he didnt care much that i was there either. then this morning my dad saw 2 does come out of the woods at 7:30 at 8:00 he saw the big boy take the same trail out. in the last 2 days ive also seen a couple of little ones with no momys around. im also starting to get pictures of bucks on the trail cam in the daylight the last couple of days.

I was in rosville on wed grinding a stump for work wright by this park, i was in grinding away and caught movement i look up i was shocked i have hunted for years and i swear a deer can hear you blink, but a 140" chasing a doe while i was making more nose then any lawn mower or chain saw, and that i was in some ladys front yard in the citys, i was looking around to see if any one else was seeing this, nope no one else was out there, i was so excited, i got one ok pic with my phone as it was trotting full-28192-26297-2012_11_06_15_15_42_146