• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rut Reports

eyeslayer20

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had 2 does out feeding across the field this morning when a nice8 came chasing them off into the woods about 15 minutes later the 8 was back out checking a scrape and slowly moved towards me then turned to go in the woods again so I grunted at him and he came into 14 yards so I decided to give him a hair cut frownfrownfrown

Very slow where I am at. Rattled and grunted this morning. Nothing came in even for a look. Normally, a small buck or two will at least come and check out the rattling. I had one lone doe come in just as I was leaving. Aside from that, not seeing much. Must be the calm before the storm. Have deer on camera, but nothing seems to be moving during daylight right now where I am at. This morning was a perfect morning for calling. Kind of frustrating. I know there is a high percentage of bucks in the area and there is lots of sign, but they are like ghosts right now.

Rattled and grunted a bit this morning and the second set produced a small buck. Nothing else seen. A few new bucks seen on the cameras so they are roaming, any day could be the day, good luck!

I had the trifecta on Thursday night. Brought in a 8pt shortly after a light rattle sequence.(read the I hate it when this happens post grin) A half hour later I had a six trot in to a grunt sequence followed by another six a half hour later that hit my scent trail and followed it right past my stand at 15 yards and stood and sniffed at the tarsal gland I had hanging in a branch. Saw another buck that paid no attention to my grunt tube and a doe that also meandered past but out of shooting distance. I haven't seen any bucks chasing but they are rubbing like mad. Watched a buck rub and make a scrape on Tuesday night, peaked his interest with a light rattle sequence but couldn't coax him in close enough for a shot and he ignored the doe bleat can and grunt tube. A buddy called and said he saw a couple forks running does up near Bruno this am but I haven't seen any chasing locally. Another couple days and things should heat up around here where I hunt. Saw 2 does this morning and put the smackdown on a nice fat doe so now I'm looking to fill that buck tag.

Tunrevir~

I had a small buck chase a doe right past me this morning. Unfortunately it was on the way to the woods and I took her out with my truck. Messed up the grill, bumper, and passenger side quarter panel.

Once I got to the stand I had a 10 point come by around 9:30. He was still too young so he got a pass, but I have a date with him in a few years. I got out of the stand at 11 and an 8 point trotted through the alfalfa field about 50 yds away as I was shedding a few layers for the walk back to the truck. He was oblivious to my presence. I watched him hit the edge of the woods across the field and he made a few rubs before meandering off.

Overall its been slow compared to other years on this farm. I'm not too optimistic since 2 studs were taken off that farm last year and I have nothing mature on camera this year. But I will be hitting it hard the next 7 days because anything can happen this time of year.

Good night tonight for deer watching. 3 does hit the corn field and then one by one, bucks ran out to chase them around. 3 does, 3 bucks, one was pretty decent. Then 3 does came out on a different part of the field followed by a buck that chased them around for a bit. The next few days should be real interesting. Also had a big bear out in the field, would have thought they would be in a den by now.

Dead where I am... didn't see a deer last night or this morning, couldnt believe it, lots of fresh scrapes, all nocturnal movement yet it seems, gonna be real soon... Gonna hunt a different farm about 30 miles away tomorrow morning.

I managed to miss a nice 8 point this morning. Shot it for what I thought was 25 - ended up it was 32... Came in chasing a doe with two other small bucks. Went out for evening stand and planned on hanging a new set close to where I saw the buck go that I missed this morning. Turns out I could not even get to that area - on my way in I spotted a set of antlers just over the tops of some tall grass. Very well could have been the one I missed this morning and it looked like it was locked on a doe. Would have made a cool photo! Saw a few doe in another area, but didn't make up for the lost opportunity this morning. Thankful to have had the opportunity, just didn't turn out as planned. Overall, a fun day in the tree.

Get your butts out in the woods now!

Had a great day in the woods. Saw a dozen deer, six of them were bucks. In the stand at noon, saw a decent 6 dogging a doe at 1:30. Then good action up until about 6pm. Had a bruiser cruise by at 60 yards through the brush frown Stopped him with a grunt, but he had other things on his mind smile

Passed on four bucks in range, the biggest was a spindley eight point. A great day in the woods, and I look forward to a bunch of all dayers over the next eight days!! smile

Most of the bucks were either dogging a doe, or following the scent of a doe that passed by.

Seen it all today, bucks chasing, dogging, rubbing, scraping, grunting, licking branches and even heard a 20 second spar (wish I could have seen it) frown

Deer were upwind, downwind, leftwind, rightwind..........they didn't care smile

Good luck guys! I look forward to seeing some pics of your deer hitting the dirt soon! smile

Saw 4 does and a small buck this morning. I've been hunting the same stand but it is producing so I'm having a tough time leaving it!!! Seems to be a lot of does in the area so I'm sure the bucks will be cruising through. I should have sat longer this morning but I have some stuff to get done.

Probably saw my other thread "Dang Does" but I had a nice 8 dogging some does last night. One of the does had to be real close, she wasn't getting too far ahead of him. Also found a BIG rub in another area I scouted out. I might also place a set in that area but I need to scout a little further in. I wasn't sure of the property lines but I got back home and realized I could have went in further.

Things are picking up fast here in western Wisconsin. Buck numbers and size on my trail cameras the past couple of days has been off the charts. Somebody must have turned the switch on. Yesterday late afternoon I saw 3 does/fawn bust out of the woods thru a cut cornfield on a full out run and behind them was a large buck on the chase full speed and grunting loudly. Maybe we'll have a good intense rut this year? Hopefully they keep it up for a while.

They moved good tonight. had 7 in bow range and heard several bucks grunting out of site. Then got down with too much light (7 pm) and had at least 2 bust me as I took my first 3 steps from the stand Urggg.