• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

twins making changes

B. Amish

These "moves" by the twins are pretty much meaningless. Anderson stays and the pitching staff was the worst part of the team?

The Pohlads think we are all stupid and that this really "shakes things up" . This so they can say they did something when the dont sign any good pitching and probably drop the payroll again.

Its pretty laughable, really...

Aren't there pitchers in the bullpen? The Twins bullpen looked ok when

they weren't overworked...

And not much Andy could do with all AAA arms. Most of them came thru

at times..except maybe Hendriks...and his is in his head, not in

his arm. Haven't we seen that before. And when the guys left here,

not many did any better.

Everybody seems to think they are the owners or coaches. I quit doing

that when my 13 year old team only won one game. It's a lot easier

when in front of the TV or in the stands then it is on the field.

Quote:
And when the guys left here,not many did any better

Just off the top of my head without doing any looking online:

R.A. Dickey

Kyle Lohse (who Anderson had plenty of time to work with)

Grant Balfour

Matt Garza

Jesse Crain

I'm sure I could think of more if I put my mind to it.

There are quite a few manager of the year winners who have been fired so that award while nice really isn't anything more than a beauty contest. Gardy has seldom outcoached anybody out there.

Besides that, say I get employee of the year three years ago and then I basically stink at my job the next few years. Should I basically get a free pass for the rest of my career?

If the team was going to fire people, they should have fired all of them or at least fired people at the top rather than picking a few pawns who don't have nearly the overall effect on the team. Gardy was quoted just a couple days ago saying that he hoped that all the coaching staff would be retained and he also said coming out of training camp that he liked the players on the roster. He sure didn't do much to get top effort out of that roster that he liked. The team was lethargic and played with little fire or emotion. Why he allows all that laughing and joking around in the dugout is beyond me and just shows that the players have no fear or respect for him.

My guess is that it came down to the fact gardy is under contract and next year after another terrible season, they will "allow" him to resign or retire from team and never announce that he was not offered another contract. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like KC maybe our "big" rival for the next few years.

"As far as Baltimore goes a team can only be so bad for so some many years before the blind squirrel finds an acorn theory applys."

You must have missed the part where Showalter has engineered remarkable turnarounds with four different teams. Lot of acorns for one guy, eh?

Quote:
Besides that, say I get employee of the year three years ago and then I basically stink at my job the next few years. Should I basically get a free pass for the rest of my career?

If you were in the top 1/100th of 1 percent in your field while working for a Multi-Billion dollar company as Gardy is ..... Yes you get a fee/similar pass and particulary if the Division/team you over see was staffed. put together by your boss resulting in the primary reason for the teams/divisions poor numbers.

Quote:
You must have missed the part where Showalter has engineered remarkable turnarounds with four different teams. Lot of acorns for one guy, eh?

Easy now .... I like Buck but I wouldn't say having coached 1 team in the last 12 years to a finish of higher than 3rd place "2nd place o's this year" in the division makes him the next Casey Stengle ...

smile

I,ll bet that some of you are the same people (that are knocking Gardenhire) that said A.D. Peterson was no good 2 years ago because he fumbled to much and are now on his band wagon. Before that Gardy was the greatest and he now has dementia and forgotten how to manage a Major League Baseball Club. He doesn,t sign ballplayers or make trades- He just does the best with what the management gives him. whistle

Been here too long. If he was on any other club he wouldn't have lasted this long. Owners too content with status quo. If Pohlads would just sell the team and do the state/fans a favor and bring in some ownership that's willing to do whatever it takes to put a good product on the field similar to the other franchises in the state.

I see Pier didn't bother to read the article I linked to on Showalter. Shocking.

I did read it and was very lenient with you on this one ... like I said Showalter, in the last 12 YEARS has managed 1 team to a 2nd place division record the rest have all been 3rd or worse.

But he's the greatest, even though he was fired from the Yankee's and Phillies who both had the highest pay-rolls during your so called miracle turn around rendition of events.

Players win games thus the reason the teams don't panic and make rash decisions on there managers based on fans complaints.

Go Gardy lets get that long term contract RAPPED up soon!

What is it that Gardy can do to make the bad pitchers the Twins have, and make them pitch good? He has brought decent teams into the playoffs (yea it hasn't gone real good from there, but he has done good with what he has had IMO)

it's called accountability. look at the teams in mlb that had seasons similar to what the twins did and what's happened to their managers. what did the bullpen coach, and the 1b and 3b coaches do that made the starting pitchers bad?

I still don't understand the partial firings.

Might have been brought up already, but here is my thought anyways.

I am going to relate to the business world to where I work vs the baseball club.

Production Manager equal to Head Coach

Supervisors equals to Bench Coach

Leads equals to Hitting/Pitching Coach

Coordinators equals to Specific position/base runner coaches

Work force equals to the Players.

Now with what the Twins did in our world is fired the Supervisors, Leads and Coordinators, but still left the Head Nut in charge with his overall coaching, theories and procedures in place.....seems like the world isn't going to change much.

My main Gardy beef was not this year but the year before leadoff the game with runner on and our 2nd hitter is sac bunting and Gardy is high 5ing the bunter, cmon Gardy we needed 20 some runs to win those nights, but no reason to oust him he didn't go that route this year, we know he's alright, is there a better option out there, maybe maybe not.