• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roy Lake SD smallies

ssaamm

Hi, I'm meeting my brother at Roy Lake, SD in search of smallies. If we stumble onto a walleye or two that would be great, too. Never fished here before. I understand that it can be pretty good. I see too that the temps will be in the 40-50's. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'm all ears. Crankbaits, drop shot, lipless cranks, plastics, TNT, etc. Happy to post a report when I get back. Thanks

Please do so. Wish I could be of help, but haven't fished it yet. Its on my list though, supposed to be a fantastic fishery and I've heard from a couple people (not just the Due North Show) that the next state record smallie for SD will come out of there. Good luck. Post a report and some pics when you get back.

Roy lake is a fun lake to fish. Big smallies and largies in there. I haven't fished it since I was in high school so I don't have a ton of knowledge on it. Got into the smallies once on there with buzzbaitss..man was that fun. If you really want to get into smallies though I would head over to clear lake right down the road. Probably one of the best smallie lakes in South Dakota.

Headed out Thurs about noon. It was 75 and sunny on wed. and 44 degrees, windy w/ freezing rain on Thurs by the time I got there. Got on the water about 4:30 on Thurs. Caught a few pike on Roy casting cranks. No bass. Started trolling about 6:45. Caught a small walleye. Then my brother hooked into a 31 1/2 in walleye about 7:15 at night. Had to weigh 11-12lbs. Awesome. It's still swimming. Went to Clear Lake just down the road and got into some decent smallie action on DT-10's. Solid fish from 16-18inches. Got most of them off the weedline in 10-14 FOW. Water temp got down to 48 on Sunday morning. My brother drilled a 27 in walleye in with the smallies. No whoppers, but fun. Would have liked to try some plastics but the wind was howling. Considering the amount of clothes we had to wear just to stay warm it was a good trip. I'd like to think when we go back next year that we shouldn't have to clean the snow out of the boat in the morning again. The cabin wasn't plush, but it had Directv to watch football and enjoy happy hour.