• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how old were your children when you first brought them out with you? I grew up with a father that didn't hunt so I never had that experience when I was younger. Mine are now getting old enough that they're asking if they can come out with me. they're 5 and 6, I know they aren't ready now to come out with me, but was thinking next fall might be an option.

It depands on what kind of hunting it is and how much cold and bad weather they can take. If your just hiking for Squirrels or Rabbits that is different then sitting out in a Duck boat or Deer blind all day if you really want to get any hunting done. Around 10 years is when my son started sitting with me more.

I was out hunting with my family for as long as I can remember. I used to walk trails with my dad for grouse, and I was even on a few field waterfowl hunts with my uncles. They shot a teal once when I was little (4 maybe?) that I toted around all day until the head nearly fell off. I was convinced that was MY duck!

I started bringing my kid grouse hunting with me when he was 7. He walks the trails and carries an air rifle with him. The dog and I bust brush in the vicinity of the trails. My kid doesn't mind being "alone" in the woods on the trails like that, in fact he really digs it .... if not, I would stay on the trails with him.

He started going out deer hunting with me when he was 6 or 7. That is during bow season, when the temps are warmer. I have an enclosed stand overlooking two food plots and he sits in there (brings his books, binocs, nintendo DS, iPod touch, and some snacks with him). I sit in a bow stand about 60 yards away. We can see each other, communicate with hand signals, etc. We go out for about 2 hours at a time in the evenings and he likes that, although 2 days in a row with no deer sightings will start to bore him. But on the nights when we see deer or grouse or porkies or coons he gets really excited. He is 9 years old now and wants to sit in a 20 foot ladder stand this year.

I started bringing my children out with me all around the age of 9-10. I have four kids, and the caboose, my youngest boy, just started carrying an unloaded gun this year.

The story told above is so very similar to my own. My Pa didn't hunt much, but I still remember him taking me walking with him when I was probably 6-7 yrs. old. I too remember carrying a grouse around with me until it's head nearly fell off! smile And pulling the wing feathers out of my brother's and Dad's geese, and tail feathers from the grouse.

Funny how we can remember those things from so long ago. 40 years ago for me. My Dad is gone now, and I really wish we could walk an old logging road together again. Cherish the times you have with your parents, and your kids. Sooner of later, everything has an end. Enjoy it while you can. smile

My son is 5, and this is the first year I've been taking him with on walks. He's been with on short road hunting adventures, or scouting trips, etc... This is the first year he's actually walking along, enjoying it, and wanting to sit in the stand with me for deer. We were at the land we hunt over the weekend and he got into my stand, and stated that he'd like to join me this year (enclosed, heated). I think next year I'm going to let him carry his BB gun and we'll start shooting it a bit.

I too recall hunting with dad, brother, uncles, etc... I was along grouse hunting, bear baiting/hunting, etc... from the time I was 5-7 years old. Seems like we were at the cabin every weekend in the fall...

My oldest just turned 4 in august and I brought him out to the game farm for the first time last month. I think it was a good way to introduce him to it. You're pretty much guaranteed to see birds so they don't get bored. There was mowed down roads between the rows of cover for easier walking for him. He had a blast and was like a young puppy in that when I shot a bird, he wouldn't give it up. He carried two birds around, one in each hand, for a couple of hours. I don't think I would bring him out chasing wild birds for a few years because I don't think he will be able to walk for hours and hours. I would say bring them out now as long as its a controlled enviroment and you have realistic expectations about their attention span and how long they will be able to walk around. 2c Good luck and have fun.

My son is now 10 and my daughter now 8. They both started walking the fields with me at the age of 6. Started by carrying a BB gun (to be cool ya know), now my my son walks with the .177 pellet gun till he completes gun safety class.

My daughter enjoys it more than my son it seems at this point.

It seems from the other posts here I might be pushing a bit early but oh well. I brought my 2 year old son and 5 year old daughter walking for grouse this past weekend. Of course my two year didn't stop talking so we were not successful but did surprisingly flush one. It was still fun to take a walk. Both my wife and I carried the guns and educated the kids on safety and made sure they stayed behind us. They did fairly well considering the trail was not very easy to walk...As my daughter said, "why is it so sticky?" I thought she was talking about the dew but my wife informed me she was actually talking about all of the sticks on the trail. And my son kept saying it's too grassy. I guess the grass that hits me below the knees comes up to your waist when you are two.

My kids started at 2. Last year, both my twin 4 year old boys and my 8 year old girl each went duck, pheasant, goose, and deer hunting with me. I am more proud of that than what I shot last year (I had a good year even with them tagging along). This year, they have all already been goose hunting. They dont get to go opening day of deer hunting and the obviously arent going on my elk trip, but other than that, if I go, I try and take one of them. No, I dont take the twins at the same time very often unless my dad or brother is going too. That gets too hard. but one on one, it is pretty easy and you get used to it. Yes, you need to adjust your expecations a little, but you need to measure your success by time spent with your kids and not game in the bag.