• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

venison tenderloin

I must confess, while everyone raves about venison tenderloins, I find that they usually have an off taste. I take great pains to field dress and get deer skinned and hung as soon as I can. I try to keep the cavity as clean as possible. Yet; when we eat them; be it grilled, marinated, pan-fried or any method; there is an odd taste that I don't find in any other cut of meat. I marinated last week's fresh tenderloins and seared the medallions quickly before bringing them back into the pan with garden onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, olive oil over pasta. The tips taste fine. But somewhere deep inside the meat is an odd taste. My 10 year old daughter ate them politely and then told me that she didn't want to hurt my feelings but the meat tasted odd.

I am ready to be flogged but there you go. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Are you talking tenderloins or backstraps?

You mention medallion cuts.

Tenderloins I leave in one piece, marinate them and grill.

Absolutely fantastic every time. Nothing special done at all.

I get the tenderloins out of the cavity as soon as I get it hung up. Dont let em dry out hanging there.

I notice this more in the t-loin compared to the backstrap as well - as far as a "gamey" flavor. But I like them both. They're the only two cuts I don't process. The rest of the steaks/roasts have always been too gamey and/or dry for my taste. I'm probably missing out but I think I just have to learn to be a better venison cook. That and I love having abundant summer sausage, brats and sticks around.

BUT YES - Get them out of the deer ASAP, for sure!

The rest of the steaks/roasts have always been too gamey and/or dry for my taste.

Definetly overcooking them. Venison needs to be done no more than med rare or it WILL be tough and dry.

Had them fresh from a doe taken Sunday night. Fried in a little butter with onion. Dredged in seasoned flour. Could cut with a plastic fork and melted in your mouth. The hanging loins are great the key is get them out after you gut the deer. Rinse and put in a zip lock. If they hang in the deer for any amount of time they dry out and just through em in the trim tub.

Growing up my mom and dad always overcooked it but I still enjoyed it. About 10 years ago I went to see mom and dad ( both passed away in 09) and I pulled some venny steaks out of the freezer and fried them quick in butter and mom was amazed at how tender they were. Very tender and tastey when done right.

I take them out asap.

I will saute some onions and then fry the tenderlions in butter but I lightly brown them and thats about it. Cannot overcook them. They do have a different flavor than the back straps but they are still awesome.

I have made them on the grill also but I will keep them on a medium hot grill for maybe 4-5 minutes on each side max.

Buddies I hunt with never seem to keep them so Itypically get them all if they do not want them. If the deer is gut shot and the cavity is a mess, then i do not keep them.

I always wash them off very well in cold water and then freeze or eat them.

When my father was still living and when we deer hunted together, we always had them for supper the same day we shot the deer.

You might try just a tad of seasoning salt on them and then the flavor may be better for you.

Get them out asap, wash them in cold water and then enjoy.

Yeah, not sure why they would be gamey. Some people just don't like the taste. And that's cool. Give them to me laugh Or grind them up and use to make whatever. I like to slice them up into medallions and grill or broil them after seasoning or marinating. The family loves them along with the steaks too. They don't like the roasts so I have those ground up and made into other things like sausage or venison bacon along with the trimmings. They love all that stuff. One thing I see some people suggesting sometimes is to soak the meat in milk or whatever to get the gamey taste out. That's a mistake in my opinion because you're trying to remove the blood, which from what I understand is a big reason venison tastes so great. More blood, less fat. So I'd just grind it up and buy some good beef steaks instead. Same goes for stew meat. I'd just buy beef instead and use the venison for something that tastes like venison.

Don't cut the bladder, "colon", or other bad smelling guts and you should be okay. As others said, get them cut out as soon as possible, wash, marinade if possible. Otherwise, wipe your bloody hands on your pants and get them on the grill as soon as possible!!