• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold front fishing options

Hey Guys

Heading up to the Brainerd area late next week for a few days of fishing. Looks like the day we arrive, Thursday temps are gonna drop from 70 and stable to mid to low 40s, high wind on Friday, then a bit more stable on Saturday and Sunday. With the high temperature dropping from the high 60s to low 40s, what should we expect with the fising?

With a dramatic cold front, with it turn on the fishing, or turn it off? I Heard after thte cold front clears it might be tough fishing, but during, it still might be OK. Fish deeper, look for moving water? Let me know what you have experienced. Thanks!

Ryan,

First quick disclaimer. I am a wknd warrior. Not a tourney fishermen or guide so would be cool to get some feed back from them here.

But in my opinion this cold front Thursday is the absolute last thing you want to see on the old forecast. First of all any article or book I have read says during cold front the walleye will go to the deepest edge of whatever structure they're relating to. We all know the deeper they are the more difficult it is to fish em. Plus, in a true cold front not only are they deep they're inactive as well. Literally lying on bottom in shut down mode. And again not only have I read this, but I fish Rainy 5 times a year and dread any cold front I see. Good news is each day after the front should be progressively better. But many instances that means 2-3 days after a front.

So advice wise? Again let's hear from some pro's because this is an important/interesting topic. But maybe on that first day try your usual go to spots. Just in case maybe this cold front isn't an issue. But if getting nothing go to the deepest edges of the best structure you find and keep eyes glued to the H-Bird.

Fish the river (if you can) - fronts aren't as bad to those fish. Try to find current seams if there is any. When in doubt use minnows!

Good luck - it's going to be a huge reality check this Thurs-Sat.

Just the kind of motivational posts I needed to hear! Thanks guys. smile You never know what your gonna get when you plan a trip. Weather being the biggest factor. Been blown off Mille more than once. LOTW was too much of a challenge when the wind picked up. Sounds like this weather change coming is exactly not what we wanted. We have a lot of lakes around where we are staying. Gonna take a of patience, hand warmers and some good fortune to get a fish fry for friday night.

I am willing to battle to get aenought fish for dinner, but i dont think I will share this with my brother, as he is liable to get discouraged. he is traveling from Texas.

Any other opinions would be appreciated though.

Bring a heater - I will have my Big Buddy with forsure. Nothing worse than being chilled to the bone and not catching fish. If your catching fish then it ain't too bad. But yeah, bad timing on the weather. I took next Friday off to head upnort.

I was wondering the same thing as I'm heading up to the Northwest Angle on a musky/walleye trip. I've heard from some in the fall a plummet in water temps will signal the fish to go on the feedbag and fatten up for the winter and I've also heard it'll mess it up for a while. Either way, I guess we'll find out, curious for other's experience/advice.

I would make sure to try very small minnows as well as really big ones. Either they dont want a big meal, OR the only chance you will get a fish to move after your bait is if it's really worth it to him (large minnow). Slow down the troll/drift/jig as much as possible and keep as close to the bottom as possible. Keep those snells short and maybe throw a stinger hook on if the bite is light. Try dragging jigs on the bottom super slow if nothing else is working (takes some patience but it can pay off). Just make sure not to be doing the exact same thing as your buddy sitting next to you! Fish always eat as far as im concerned, they just hunker down more and wont move as fast... Why not try a jigging spoon with the head of a fat head? They havent seen those since February!

Well, the bite did slow down for me after the cold front. Or at least I think it did.

I did OK on Wednesday night. Went out into the big wind last night and didn't catch any. Of course, I wasn't willing to get too far out in the lake, and the wind was so bad I couldn't keep the boat at a consistent speed anyways. Gave it maybe an hour and went in and warmed up.

I'll give it another shot tonight, though. crazy