• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Explain this to me...........Interesting day on the water

RumRiverRat

I caught fish in water from 2 to 20 feet deep today.

Caught fish pitching a jig to shallow wood in 2 feet of water, caught fish on DT14 and DT16 in 20 feet of water.

I thought fish were suppose to be shallow in the fall, that explains the 2 foot of water, but fish suspended off the bottom in 20 feet? crazy

I could clearly see the fish suspended off the bottom on my sonar that is why I tried the cranks.

As the day went on and the water warmed I could sense the fish were invading the shallows to feed, I caught a bunch of fish on a crank in 6 to 8 feet of water.

Green weeds deep would be only reason they are there

No weeds that deep, it is an area at the end of a point that has rocks on it up shallower in 6 to 14 feet of water.

The breakline starts at about 14 and drops sharply into 20 and then flattens out.

Maybe they are suspending out over the deeper water and moving onto the point to feed, I usually get a bunch of small arches in that same area, which must be bluegills and crappies. I know that the bass feed heavily on bluegills in this lake, I have witnessed full breaches by bluegills being chased by bass in shallower water, I have even seen full breaches by bass.

All the fish I caught today were in water 1'-3' deep. One even had mud on it's belly. Saw some weed growth in 8-10' but no fish on the graph. Tried cranks, tex rigged worm and jigs and had zero bites, went in shallow again and hit them pretty good. Beautiful day to be out.

Similar story for me the last couple weekends, which I guess I don't find all that unusual. Fish can get pretty scattered when it's transition time like this I think, and it doesn't help when the water temp is going up and down like a yo-yo.

I found some fish bunched up on deep weed edges, where they'd basically been since early August, while others were on inside weedlines and around weed clumps on shallow flats. Several spots were inside/outside deals where you'd find both on one weedline.

Also interesting that I'm getting a lot of smallies mixed in with the largemouths on both the inside and outside weedlines on a couple different lakes.

Kind of fun, because you can switch gears every once in a while and do something different. Lots of options right now.

Last two weekends have been some of the best bass fishing I've had all season, which is saying something. Hope there's more to come.

Cheers,

RK

I'm amazed at how much the water temp changes throughtout the day right now. Granted, I've been fishing a small lake, but it was 56 when I went out and four hours later when I came it it was 61.

Had pretty good success on Friday. Caught about 12 bass and 2 northerns. All of the fish, except a couple, came on cranks. It's nice to finally get my money's worth from all those DTs sitting in my tackle box.