• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting the portable ready for the season. Questions!

Chumba

Spent some time today pimping the portable for the upcoming hard water season. Bought a used 2 man frabill this spring. I added clam seat heaters both on the seats and backs and clam led lights on the top front two poles. Lastly I added that refletix (sp) to the back and top. So a question for people who have done this, do you worry about the sides or front/door? I figure the sides are a no go, obviously, but has anyone added a piece over the door? I was thinking of using a strong double sided tape to adhere a piece to the door. Think this would be worth the trouble?

Also I don't really know much about wiring. How hard would it be to add switches for the lights and seats? I am assuming a full size battery, like a boat/trolling motor battery would be needed. Or would I be better off with a chain of vexilar batteries?

Pics are not great:

null-51.jpg

null-52.jpg

null-53.jpg

I did mods to my predator last year. I did the reflectix the same as you seems like it would be a pain to do it on the door side but I'm sure it can be done. Just doing it the way you have it helped with heat and light quite a bit. Also ran my led light strips to an electrical box with toggle switches and mounted it to the house. I just run mine off an extra vex battery, small and light weight and it works great. There are pics of it on one of the mod threads somewhere.

OK so another Mod question that I have not seen.. Im trying to use this 2 man flip over with my Toyota Camery. Not the best set up, but its what I have right now. With the back seats folded down, the corners are still too high to fit through the opening. So here was my thought. I am looking to replace the bolts on the corners with large wing nuts. THen I could move the metal corners (that the poles attach to) over slightly, so the whole thing will wedge into the trunk. I would not be looking to move the canvas off of the sled, so they could just move a little. Is this a bad idea? Could possibly rip the canvas. Not sure how else to mod the whole thing to fit it in.

one other option is to use a cargo carrier if your car has a hitch.

here is what I did with my old blazer and will be doing the same with the Tahoe.

full-29971-24929-100_3331.jpg

full-29971-24930-100_3332.jpg

full-29971-24931-100_3333.jpg

full-29971-24932-100_3334.jpg

the big thing is to make sure the sled is away from the exaust or the the sled will melt. that is why I added the Z bar to raise the carrier higher.

one other option is to use a cargo carrier if your car has a hitch.

here is what I did with my old blazer and will be doing the same with the Tahoe.

full-29971-24929-100_3331.jpg

full-29971-24930-100_3332.jpg

full-29971-24931-100_3333.jpg

full-29971-24932-100_3334.jpg

the big thing is to make sure the sled is away from the exaust or the the sled will melt. that is why I added the Z bar to raise the carrier higher.

So I have been looking more and more into getting something like this for my car. Does anyone have any ideas where I could get a hitch installed? I can find the parts online, but I am not a gear head and wouldnt want to do the work myself. It is not something the Toyota dealership sells/installs so i would have to look aftermarket.

Quote:
So I have been looking more and more into getting something like this for my car. Does anyone have any ideas where I could get a hitch installed? I can find the parts online, but I am not a gear head and wouldnt want to do the work myself. It is not something the Toyota dealership sells/installs so i would have to look aftermarket.

I think it's the correct way to go, no need to risk the canvas when that hitch could provide all sorts of future benefits.

For an inexpensive route you could have UHaul get it done, they are quick and easy if you have one with an installation center nearby. Then grab a rack for cheap at Wally World and you're set.

pretty much any place that sells tow hitches will install it for you for minimal cost. The place I got the one for my Ranger charged me $20 to install. I sat in their waiting room and drank a cup of coffee and read the paper while they did the install. $20 well spent.

Ya it looks like I can get it installed at uhaul for around $200 hitch included. The install is $25 of that. Not too bad IMO.

I actually have a hub, but I am not too fond of it. Really hard to set up in any wind, and moving it can be a pain too. I like the seating and stability of the flip over.