• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aqua-Vu Micro

Fishin4fun_MN

I got one last fall. Mainly, I have used it during the winter months but in open, calm water it works fine. The picture is very clear and the battery life if good for its size. It is nice to have a unit so small that you can keep it in your pocket to use it when the fish disappear or become unworkable. There are only two issues I have had with it so far. First, the spool that the camera cable comes on cracked then broke in several places. This was because I kept it in my pocket the majority of my trips. The fix was easy, I replaced the broken spool with an empty mason tip-up line spool. Second, the screen doesn't work in high sun situations as well as units with a scope. I use it a lot in my jacket. I would highly suggest getting one for fishing on the move!

I really like the one I have. There are some good and not so good things about it but what I use it for it works great!

It sure is nice to slip it in your pocket and not have to worry about lugging around a big camera/battery.

Pros:

Small light compact, picture is crisp and colorful. Works great for locating weeds or structure (you can easily hole hop with it in your pocket). The camera is about the size of a walnut so you can also use it for other purposes around the house (a friend borrowed mine to see behind a wall to check wiring).

Cons:

Its a little difficult to keep the camera facing one direction as it likes to spin. I think most cameras are like this and there are tools made to make this easier (camera compass etc).

The IR light is ALWAYS on, so it will highlight anything that is in the water, if you have dirty or stained water you will get the blizzard effect. However it always works even in the dark. I can see the bottom content of even the dirty MN river in 25 FOW.

The camera angle is super wide so judging distances and size of fish is a little difficult.

All in all I would say this camera is a great tool for locating weeds or other structure or identifying fish. If you plan on using it as a sole camera for fishing purposes I'd probably look at the dedicated units from Marcum or Vexilar. I'm not saying it won't work for fishing, as it will do fine but there might be some better options.

Here is a sample vid I did last year the very first time I had it out on the ice. The picture on the camera is much better than the video represents as you lose a lot of resolution during video compression to upload to YouTube, but it gives you a good idea of its capabilities. Toward the end of the video I was messing around and actually tied a small piece of fishing line directly to the camera and using the camera cord as my fishing line. grin

Looks like a nice camera.

I might have to look for one at the St. Paul Ice Fishing Conv. I havent been there in 4 years and this year i am going!! Hope the wife lets me since we have our first child coming here in 1 month!!!! IF not hope she lets me go fishing at least! Better start them young!

Has anyone tried using the remote control Marcum camera panning arm with it? I like having something small for hole hopping but was thinking of having an option to set it up when my son is fishing with me.

I use the Aqua Vu Micro camera. I have the pro-snake attachment with the Mo-pod 3. Once I am on the fish, I set it & for get it. I can fish hands free. I can use the remote move the camera either direction. The pro-snake attachment attaches to a portable to hold the camera. The picture is good. I have had color at 30 ft of water. I love this camera! When you are done put it in your pocket.

I had one had problems with it and they sent me another one. That one had the same problem. I sent it back after reading that everyone else but a few were having the same issues. I liked the idea of a pocket sized camera. Just wish there were no problems to deal with. If I hear others are having better success then I may purchase one again. But not a minute before.

Spike

I had one had problems with it and they sent me another one. That one had the same problem. I sent it back after reading that everyone else but a few were having the same issues. I liked the idea of a pocket sized camera. Just wish there were no problems to deal with. If I hear others are having better success then I may purchase one again. But not a minute before.

Spike

I heard a handful of the early models went out that way. They did replace the defective units. That shows me they stand behind their products. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. My unit has worked great. I cannot fish without a camera now.

walleye44

You say you use the mo-pod. With the camera cable being so thin does it still work alright? I was worried with it being so light that it would still spin to some degree.

Also do you shoot the camera down or at the side?

My son and I used his last year a little bit and I think its a good scouting tool for sure and the portability is what makes it so nice.

walleye44

You say you use the mo-pod. With the camera cable being so thin does it still work alright? I was worried with it being so light that it would still spin to some degree.

Also do you shoot the camera down or at the side?

My son and I used his last year a little bit and I think its a good scouting tool for sure and the portability is what makes it so nice.

I have the camera facing forward & I am moving the camera back & forth all the time. I do not use the continues mood, but move it all the time. I was worried to about the smaller cable, but it works really well. I love the fact that I can be portable or hands free with this Aqua Vu Micro. The pro-snake & Mo-pod 3 allow me to do that.

The improvements that went into the new model are very nice. I like the fact that the on/off switch is the cover, the built in DVR works great, and the addition of USB charging is sweet.

I also am happy that I can now turn off the IR light if I want to.

Here's a short vid of some kitties the other day. This was taken in 30 feet of water.