• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Field dressing

So I am a complete rookie to duck hunting but in the chance I actually down one or more this weekend can anyone give me their process for field dressing them? I'm thinking I would probably just worry about the breast at this point. I have read some stuff on other sites but I'm curious what you all have to say. Thanks.

Whole duck..Pluck, remove wings/feet, cut skin completely around the base of the neck. cut through the skin at the base of the rib cage around the front of the duck. Take kitchen shears and clip through the bones along each side of the spine and pull back on the neck. All of the insides will peel out with the spine.

Breasting. pluck the front from neck line to under the rib cage and from wing to wing. Pull skin outward, make a small cut then use your fingers to pull the skin away from the body, cutting the skin away when you can (on the centerline of the breast). Once the whole breast is visable remove the breast meat.

Quickest way for Field dressing as you have to have 1 feathered wing would be this. Peel skin off of both sides of the breast. Once breast is exposed put 2 fingers under bottom of brest and 2 under top of breast. Step on feet and head and pull. The breast and 2 wings will pull loose of rest of carcass.

Here is a video:

Quickest way for Field dressing as you have to have 1 feathered wing would be this. Peel skin off of both sides of the breast. Once breast is exposed put 2 fingers under bottom of brest and 2 under top of breast. Step on feet and head and pull. The breast and 2 wings will pull loose of rest of carcass.

Here is a video:

Wow.

We will do some of the same things except that we bring a small playmate style cooler with water and ice and salt the birds down after plucked.or skinned leaving one fully featherd wing and toos them in it helps with the clean up at home.

For geese we always try to take a cooler filled with frozen bottles of water speacially when its warm out, The geese we get we will remove the entrails then put a frozn bottle of water in the cavity that way they meat will cool down until we get home to dress them.