• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice fishing expensive?

mrpike1973

I agree with others in that it's as expensive as you want it to be. I just spent half an hour going thru my gear out of curiosity and I came up with about $900, assuming all new equipment. The only really expensive stuff would be my insulated Canvascraft portable and an electric auger. If I sat out in the open and used a hand auger, it would be significantly cheaper. What I don't have is top-of-the-line rods, a vexilar, cameras, a wheelhouse, ATV, etc. Mostly I have very basic stuff, although I did splurge a bit on my portable.

Wont help you now but shop for ice fishing stuff in the spring. Augers and locators and portables can be much cheaper. I saved a lot on a brand new SM auger on clearance last spring. This is the 3rd one I have bought on clearance over the years.Ive also bought everything from heaters,augers,ice suits,locators,fish rods and reels,portables etc. for a fraction of the price in the spring.There are also a few deals on the web if you are quick to get them. I have a hard time paying retail for anything.

I've been at the point where I've been wanting to upgrade ice fishing gear for awhile now. I've been fishing with a bucket, a rod or two, and a cheap hand auger for years.

The idea of a flasher, gas auger, and shelter seems great but I'm never sure what piece to buy first. Likely it would be a couple years before I could splurge to buy the next piece so what 1 item can I buy that would put more fish on the ice and that would allow me to get out enough to justify the cost. Each has a big positive and negative associated with owning just one peice.

One thing I have noticed is that finding used gear can be tough. There is alot out there for sure but some of the prices people are asking are crazy. A 10 year old flasher for $50 less then current retail prices is crazy. I've seen it with augers, flashers, and some portables. People on certain list sites seem to way overvalue their used gear.

maybe a little vent here but i started looking at the prices of ice fishing stuff. augers around 300- 600 bucks. houses start at roughly 180 on up. etc etc. i remember when they said ice fishing was cheaper than summer now you can get a used 14 foot boat motor etc for around $1000 and except for a few rods and life vests your good to go. i realize you can buy used. the reason i write this is my nephew went with me last year wants to get in to it. he said he has went several times to a used fish house with no holes to find huge rips etc. he said a hand auger will work but after a couple of holes through 3 feet doesnt make it much fun. sorry to rant but holy cow prices have gone up. my nephew went to a sporting goods store and the sales guy said for under $1500 you can get into ice fishing cheaply. i wonder for that price if fish are included. sorry to rant but anyone else see how spendy stuff has gotten.
What! And your from Darwin? It's called Evolution my friend! Checkers is still cheap to play. grin

Ice fishing is expensive if you require a flasher, power auger, portable house, and heater.

I've been putting my gear together for years getting one thing at a time.

I will always buy used, and if it's broken I'll fix it to get by.

I also hit clearence sales in spring, but they have become scarce.

Truthfully I've bought most of my stuff on hsolist second hand.

Really you need warm clothes, boots, auger, ice skimmer and a cheap ice rod you can put a summer reel on one with tape as I did in the beginning.

If I had to replace all my gear I'd do it piece by piece, and it would take me 10 more years.

Adding it up i've got a lot of money into it, but I took a long time to get to where I am now.

Every year I get something else, but rarely is it new, or top of the line.

EVERYTHING is expensive, seems to me. But as others have said, if you want to skimp for a season, you'll be able to find lots of stuff at very reduced prices come spring. Keep an eye out on hsolist (buyer beware, of course), and on the HSO classified listings here. You really can get by without a huge investment.

Nofishfisherman,

I hear you on the surprisingly high resale prices. Flashers especially are rarely available for much less than retail. That said, if you get one item, I'd say buy the flasher. I scored a free clam portable-barely use it. Even when I drag it out with me, I am usually outside the shelter moving around with my bucket. I scored a free power auger, didn't use it once last year. It takes all of 1 minute to cut a hole in 16" of ice (with good blades on my 6" mora.) I scored a free Aqua-Vu and set it up 4 or 5 times last year. I believe I caught 1 perch that I wouldn't have otherwise caught.

However, my fishing experience does change and improve with a flasher. Whenever trying new water, I borrow one. It shaves hours of time off identifying patterns in a given lake and it makes fishing a lot more fun for kids. Once the flasher has helped me learn where to find fish on a given lake, I do just fine without one. I often fish with friends who bring theirs, and I honestly catch as many fish as they do, but I'd do a lot more exploring with a flasher.

Anyone have one they'd be interested in trading for an Aqua-Vu? PM me!

maybe a little vent here but i started looking at the prices of ice fishing stuff. augers around 300- 600 bucks. houses start at roughly 180 on up. etc etc. i remember when they said ice fishing was cheaper than summer now you can get a used 14 foot boat motor etc for around $1000 and except for a few rods and life vests your good to go. i realize you can buy used. the reason i write this is my nephew went with me last year wants to get in to it. he said he has went several times to a used fish house with no holes to find huge rips etc. he said a hand auger will work but after a couple of holes through 3 feet doesnt make it much fun. sorry to rant but holy cow prices have gone up. my nephew went to a sporting goods store and the sales guy said for under $1500 you can get into ice fishing cheaply. i wonder for that price if fish are included. sorry to rant but anyone else see how spendy stuff has gotten.

Well let's compare apples to apples.

A new 14 foot boat, motor and trailer with electronics will cost a person a lot more than $1000.

For a person starting out you don't need the best of the best until you decide this is what you're really wanting to do. A 5 gallon bucket, hand auger, scoop jiggle sticks and lures will set you back about $100. Not cutting edge but still can fish all you want on a budget. Until 15 years ago I used a hand auger instead of a power one. Why? I had other priorities to spend my money on instead. A good hand auger with sharp blades will not be all that tough to use if you're in decent shape.

Now if you want to get more serious and cutting edge it'll add up. Same is true about summer fishing. I guess it all depends on how much your willing to spend. If I only had $500 to spend on fishing I'd be looking at used bigger ticket items like a fish house, auger, flasher and buy new rods, heater, tackle. Sometime guys sell their stuff in a package and that would fit into this budget. The house will likely be pretty used or home made but it will work and keep you warm. The flasher will be older technology and the power auger pretty old. Holes can be patched. You don't need to look pretty to go fishing especially when you have little money and need all the stuff.

Then you can choose to buy a new auger one year. Then new flasher when the budget allows if you decide this is what you want to do.

Most of us started simple and added equipment as we could afford it. Even now I can't afford to buy all the new goodies out every year. But I choose what equipment I feel I need to upgrade and go from there.

Good Luck to your nephew and I hope he finds the equipment he needs and enjoys his time out on the ice.

It's a lot easier to store a five gallon bucket and hand auger than a boat and trailer in the off season, too. smile

You can get a used flasher for a decent price, but they won't get under a hundred bucks. Unless you have a recently divorced woman intentionally and angrily depleting her ex's stuff for next to nothing. And that does happen, too; Watch the Eden Prairie/Edina/Minnetonka local ads if you don't beleive me.

definately watch C. list you find some dam good deals, for instance I just picked up a LX-3 for 85 bucks haha...Put want ads on there, thats what I did, had a want ad for a LX-5 and this guy emailed me...I couldn't really pass it up for that price...I have $550 into my big stuff:House (eskimo quickfish 3) auger(eskimo Z51 shark $230 great deal) Flasher (LX-3) Heater (Big buddy)...buy one piece at a time over the year feels a lot cheaper, same with lures

i agree, dont buy anything brand new unless it is on sale or clearance at a store. online sites r great for this

my first year i started with a 5 gal bucket, $15 kit of ice jigs, 2 used combos, $15 manual auger, just bought waxies for bait, had minimal panfish success but totally enjoyed my time on hard water

2nd year upgraded to old magnum auger $100, 1 person fish trap$100, & more misc tackle online cheap in bulk, & finished season with a showdown troller on clearance in feb (fish finder will change your luck forever, especially when they can read thru ice like this one so u dont waste time drilling holes in unproductive area)

last year i sold my 1 person fish trap for $100, bought older 2 person for $100, spend $100 @ hardware store to mod myself, added strikemaster suit (on sale @ ice show) and little buddy heater.

this offseason i got my first powernoodle/flyreel setup.

i would keep 2 things in mind. 1. the seasons are quite short and someone always wants the next best thing out there, you can always find decent used stuff that wont break the bank & will retain more of its value if you change your mind. 2. start slow & grow into it..this way it is easier to determine the style of fishing he will like and spend $$ that smartly tie directly to style of fishing. if its run & gun and drill baby drill then a portable may not be the smartest out of the gate & just have to wait for nicer/warmer days. i will state the 2 biggest game changers are a gas auger & fish finder, no matter what the size, age, or cost. if u have more than 12 inches of ice u will be shot quickly manually & it is no fun to waste time drillin when there aint fish there. those 2 items will change the game and make the experience much more fun & easy. i learned the hard way my first year, set my budget, and went after those items for my second year when the sales were around on line & in stores.

good luck

There are a few things you can get cheap. A bucket to sit on and also works to carry your fish and other things. Used coleman lanterns are cheap and double as heat and light. For a shelter you can get a used fish trap or even a pop up pretty reasonable. Look or ask around if anyone has any older ice fish rods or reels. I have a pile of them that I dont use and Im sure others do to. You can get them for cheap or maybe even free. A locator will cost a little more but you dont need top of the line and you might find a FL8 LX1 for a reasonable price. Hand augers will still do the job and are cheap or free sometimes. I used one to cut threw 3 feet of ice for a long time. Helps to have sharp blades. You cant drink champaign on a beer budget but if you are creative you can get by cheaper than you think. Then work your way up just like the rest of us did. My first boat wasnt a Ranger.lol Doesnt hurt to put an add in the classifieds youg kid looking for cheap ice equiptment.

For me it is a little expensive. As i tournament fish in the winter i have doubles of everything besides my houses. i have my 1 man scout tc for tournaments and a Nanook and voyager for when i bring people out with me. I have a vexilar fl-18 and an fl-20 along with 2 nils masters augers. one in a 6 inch and one in an 8 inch. I have tons of rods and lures and my ice armor suits. I Feel like i have went a little overboard at times but the ice is my passion so i always wanna make sure nothing will stop me from getting out. Im guessing out of everything i have bought not including other augers i have spent over 3 grand for everything. it shouldn't be that expensive haha. I think an average person going out only needs to spend 900 to 1000 to get set up nice for many years to come.