• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grilled cheese sandwiches?

Whoaru99

Technically I suppose they're fried cheese sandwiches but, regardless, lately I've been on a grilled cheese sandwich kick.

Last night's was a dandy...

Texas toast (just the thick-cut bread, not anything seasoned).

Cream cheese with a little parmesan, white cheddar, and garlic mixed in (leftover from making jalapeno poppers)

American cheese

Medium cheddar

Muenster

Provolone

Caramelized onion

I think now maybe a bit of bacon and perhaps some sort of lightly herbed bread.

Whatcha' got?

Great call on these chilly fall mornings!!! ...........A good artisan bread, prov, mozz, american, thick strip bacon, tomato, fresh basil.....with a tomato soupy dipping sauce. Thinner slices of everything, don't let any one thing overpower the others.....well, a little heavier on the cheeses though.

at least make'em rite!... butter Both sides of the bread fry one side- on each.......add the chesse between the 2 fryed side's ....add back to the pan an fry the other 2 sides!! 4 lay'ers of "crunch"... and what he said!>DonBo said, "Ooooo yeah, tomato soup on the side is a must."........good eats and then some!

I remember watching a food network show and they were making grilled cheese sandwhiches with jelly in them. Supposedly they are awesome. Not just grape or strawberry but apple peach and everything else...I haven't tried it yet, I know my kids wuld flip out if I tried it

When the G parents were still around Grandma would make grilled cheeses for us before we went out fishing in the AM. Grandpa always had jelly on his grilled cheeses (me too of course). Now both of my kids do the samee... And we don't have it for breakfast. They prefer it over ketchup... Love old school traditions..

Those george forman grills make a pretty good grilled cheese! I like a slice of bologna in it. Gotta have good bread and good thick cheese.

Tomato soup with a couple of slices of cheese in it works good. I add cracked pepper as well.

The best grilled cheese I think I had was over a smartfire made in a pie iron....I think ya had to be there tho grin

Hit a home run the other night by using sour dough bread (big, wide slices from the center of the loaf), lightly brushing it with canola oil and then sprinkling it liberally with grated Parmesan cheese.

For my inner-cheese I used 1-2 slices each of Smoked Cheddar for flavor, Muenster for the stretchy gooeyness, and American just because I'm a sucker for the classics.

Fried on medium heat for a few minutes a side, the Parmesan forms a golden brown crust that's out of this world, and the three-cheese middle is absolute heaven.

Served it with some great Ancho Pepper-based Chili, which I will post in a separate thread - Incredible, easy and my new go-to chili recipe. The perfect pair!

When I was in college we got the 5 pound chunks of commodiy cheese, we ate grilled cheese sandwiches until it came out of our ears. You learned to try lots of different variations - ham and cheese, onion and cheese, tomato and cheese, etc.

The key to a good grilled cheese is taking your time, give the cheese pleny of time to melt and come oozing out the sides.

Psssstttt...

No need for butter. Mayo works just as well if not better - it atleast spreads better...

May come as a surprise to many but alot of sandwich shops and restaurants use it on "grilled" sandwiches. And you'd never know... cool

You're either onto something or you're on something. I just might try this. Thanks for the tip

Great tip for grilled cheese (and anything else in the kitchen involving butter) that surprisingly some people don't know:

Butter doesn't need to be refrigerated like milk. Sure after a while it may go bad, but it takes a long time. Room temp butter spreads amazingly well and is the bees knees for grilled cheese.

I tend to make grilled cheese sammies with two slices of whole grain bread and the fanciest cheeses in the fridge laugh