• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall overseeding - Help

Jimbo111

I have ~1 acre of lawn in sandy soil that took a beating this summer. I have a lot of dead areas. Last Saturday I overseeded the whole lawn. I took my pull behind thatcher and got a lot of dead grass out. I then overseeded with a sandy soil mixture (Spent $130). I then pulled the thatcher over everything again to get some soil over the seed. The problem it hasn't rained since and there is no rain in the 10 day forecast. I have no thoughts about trying to water an acre worth of lawn. If I just leave the seed alone until we get some rain with that be too late to grow? If we get a freeze before the seeds germinate will they germinate in spring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The seeds will stay there. I would get some straw and lightly cover the area to keep the birds from finding the seed and keeping the erosion down if we do get some rain.

There's not alot you can do. You're kinda hung out to dry.

There's no rain in the forecast, and on the sandy soil, if you don't have any black dirt, we're going to have to get about 5" of rain for it to make a difference. The 5" of rain will have to be over a period of 2 weeks, a slow heavy heavy drizzle, but even then, chances are the temps are soon going to be too cool.

I know at my house we had a light frost again (just north of Forest Lake) this morning, and even if you start to get some to germinate, I'm not sure it'll have time to grow before you run the risk of having it froze off.

I hate to bring the bad news, but you're pretty much fighting an uphill battle right now.

Good luck!!