• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winterizing RV?

311Hemi

Just blow out the lines, or blow them out and fill them with RV antifreeze?

If fill with RV antifreeze, how well do the hand pumps work?

I assume you just drain the water heater, but does that still leave some water in the bottom of it and if so do I need to get some RV antifreeze in there as well?

Should I get a wand to wash out the grey and black water tanks?

I've never blown out my lines w/ air.

Just pull the low point drains (if so equipt).

Hand pump in antifreeze. Go to each faucet until pink comes out.

Make sure each trap (tub, sink etc.) gets a shot.

Water heater plug needs to be pulled.

Check to see if it has a bypass (3 valves) so no anti freeze gets in.

Pull drains on tanks, and they're good to go.

Don't forget the to drain or winterize the shower head.

Bypass the hot water heater, you do not want antifreeze in there! Leave the drain plug out, it'll be fine. Waste of time to blow out lines and then run antifreeze through them, as running antifreeze through will push out any water that is in the lines. Run ALL faucets until antifreeze comes out(enough to fill traps under sinks anyway). Pour a little vegie oil in stool to keep seal from sticking. Should be good to go. Saves a ton of money to pull connection on intake side of water pump, pour in antifreeze while someone else runs all the faucets. Don't forget to drain fresh water tank and leave valve open.

All I do is blow out with air. I use my small air compressor and set the pressure to 25lbs. Just make sure you open every faucet until no water comes out. Dont forget the outside shower if you have one. Then add 2 cups antifreeze to each drain and the toilet. Never had any problems and you dont get the smell in water the next year...

All I do is blow out with air. I use my small air compressor and set the pressure to 25lbs. Just make sure you open every faucet until no water comes out. Dont forget the outside shower if you have one. Then add 2 cups antifreeze to each drain and the toilet. Never had any problems and you dont get the smell in water the next year...
Same here. On third camper never an issue! I always start with the lines and do the water heater last so I don't have to use so much air to fill it when blowing the lines. Then I just leave the air hooked up and blowing the whole system for 15min at the end. Pink junk in all the drains and done! wink

+1 for air only. I've been doing this for 4 years and I was taught by a friend who has been doing his RV this way since he bought it in 1978.

I set the regulator to 50psi and go. Always have at least one fitting open just in case. Start closest to your water fill and move towards the low point drains. I do the process 2-3 times and it takes 15-20 mins at most. Pour a couple of cups of antifreeze in the traps and you're good. I pull out the anode rod in the water heater to drain and leave it out. Pull the drain on the fresh water tank and leave open.

Now that all the water is out of the camper, I empty the grey and black tanks and flush them well. I use the rest of the antifreeze gallon in the two tanks as cheap insurance.

I use 1 gallon of antifreeze for this whole process instead of pumping the whole camper full of antifreeze that must be flushed out in the spring.